Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unifi Ubiquiti controller running in docker on NAS works OK!  (Read 795 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Unifi Ubiquiti controller running in docker on NAS works OK!
« on: December 10, 2020, 08:51:08 AM »

I finally got round to migrating my Unifi controller for my Ubiquiti WAP's into a docker container on my synology NAS (its actually a PC running Xpenology but same thing really) from just running on my main PC. For those with similar hardware I used this guide, I used a backup from my current controller to migrate all the settings and also had to re-adopt the controllers to the new controller but it was pretty seemless (no-one in the house even noticed)

This means that the controller is now running all the time (with fairly small overhead) and this has some (admittedly minor) advantages over the ad-hoc running of the controller on my PC (mainly in statistics, reporting, using manually applied user groups and the Guest Portal).  The other nice thing is that its using existing hardware which already runs full-time and is relatively low power.  I used the jacobalberty version.

Anyway, if you have Ubiquiti stuff and a NAS (which can run docker containers) its a relatively smooth process.

C

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Unifi Ubiquiti controller running in docker on NAS works OK!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »

Not had any problems running it natively on Fedora personally, although I'm sure there are more security implications that way.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Unifi Controller though, it seems overly complicated if you just want a reliable AP (clearly designed as a vendor lock-in to make you buy all Unifi gear) and they are happy to make sweeping changes that break your current configuration.

I'm also rather dubious of their WiFi quality rating system, that can say good when 5Ghz is running at 200Mbit or 700Mbit.  I would consider losing 500Mbit as quite a poor condition and offering some idea of why would be nice.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: Unifi Ubiquiti controller running in docker on NAS works OK!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 07:53:10 AM »

Not had any problems running it natively on Fedora personally, although I'm sure there are more security implications that way.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Unifi Controller though, it seems overly complicated if you just want a reliable AP (clearly designed as a vendor lock-in to make you buy all Unifi gear) and they are happy to make sweeping changes that break your current configuration.

I'm also rather dubious of their WiFi quality rating system, that can say good when 5Ghz is running at 200Mbit or 700Mbit.  I would consider losing 500Mbit as quite a poor condition and offering some idea of why would be nice.

Agree that it seems a bit of a walled garden, I only have two WAP's but I imagine if you are a remote admin for a site with lots of WAP's I can imagine the automated 'roll-out' of upgrades is probably pretty useful.

I thought the same as you as it seems an unnecessary overhead but as I have had pretty good performance and reliability from mine I guess it no longer bothers me, for me the WAP's were a huge and noticeable upgrade from my previous router wifi.] and really helped coverage over the house.

I not any configuration issues at all, maybe I have been lucky.