Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Second line installed next to main one?  (Read 2978 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Second line installed next to main one?
« on: December 08, 2020, 02:57:58 PM »

A while back due to an ISP muck-up and the workaround they had to do meant I ended up with two lines. This didn't last long so I now only have one.

The way my lines are setup is that I have the drop wire coming to the house overhead, it is then using an external junction box on the eaves with a cable that then comes into the house into one master socket which is no longer active.

The other line which does work, is then crimped in the back of the first master socket with jelly crimps and then runs over a very short (few cm) thin white cable into the second socket where everything connects up.

Does this sound like it was done sensibly? I can't recall if it was Openreach or a contractor that did it, I think likely the latter.

Just wondering if I would be better off putting all the wiring inside the non-active master socket and using that instead, would it make any difference? I know technically I am not allowed to.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Second line installed next to main one?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 03:11:40 PM »

Mine was done more or less the same, except the drop cable comes straight into the master socket and it was crimped from there.

I doubt changing it would make any difference.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 03:25:43 PM »

Yeah .... totally acceptable practice .... aesthetics play a large part as well when we fit 2nd lines.

Would 'you' particularly wish a separate overhead wire to be run from pole to premises, similarly also separate internal wiring as well ... when the spare capacity in the cables allows the patching through of the 2nd line ?? That said, in the interests of cut-backs, the drop-wire from pole to premises is now (has been for a few years) single pair.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 03:35:46 PM »

Yeah .... totally acceptable practice .... aesthetics play a large part as well when we fit 2nd lines.

Would 'you' particularly wish a separate overhead wire to be run from pole to premises, similarly also separate internal wiring as well ... when the spare capacity in the cables allows the patching through of the 2nd line ?? That said, in the interests of cut-backs, the drop-wire from pole to premises is now (has been for a few years) single pair.

I hope you didn't think I was attacking Openreach Black Sheep as it was not my intention. I really appreciate the work you and your colleagues do.

I'm very happy with how it was done, just was curious as all :)

I've got an NTE5C installed and only thing I would say is it feels quite loose? I have the MK4 faceplate which doesn't seem very secure, I wonder if a replacement might fit a bit better?

Or do you think I should swap for an NTE5A if I can still get hold of one?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 03:54:02 PM »

No, absolutely not at all Gigabit ..... that's why I put inverted comma's around the 'you', to indicate everybody, bud.  :) :)

Totally up to yourself with regard to the master socket, mate ... tomaaayto ... tomaaato.  ;) ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 06:06:27 PM »

Or do you think I should swap for an NTE5A if I can still get hold of one?

Let's just say that there are a number of us who regard the NTE5C with utter contempt. They have been built to a price . . . and it shows.

There are still plenty of new NTE5/As and Mk 3 SSFPs available to purchase.  ;)

(There is no difference between the Mk 3 SSFP and the Mk 4 SSFP other than the former fits an NTE5/A and the latter fits an NTE5C.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:45:15 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 11:05:45 AM »

Let's just say that there are a number of us who regard the NTE5C with utter contempt. They have been built to a price . . . and it shows.

Indeed. When this became apparent shortly after the 5C was introduced I invested in a couple of spare 5As and Mk3s.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 12:57:03 PM »

So will I get more sync speed with an NTE5A?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 01:59:21 PM »

Unlikely, I swapped a MK3 for a MK4 and saw zero difference although mine is a REALLY tight fit.  Its going to be a chore to ever take it off again as the socket was fitted almost flush to my main socket.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:28:52 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 07:57:15 PM »

So will I get more sync speed with an NTE5A?
Highly unlikely, but in the long term the 5A is less likely to give problems.
A friend of mine had his 5C changed three times in a matter of months. That's just one case, of course, but googling around the forums show that it's not uncommon.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530