Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Study  (Read 586 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Study
« on: December 08, 2020, 03:19:27 AM »

I have recently made a happy discovery, thanks to Janet’s being awake, that the City Lit Institute in Covent Garden, London is now offering online courses delivered using video conferencing software. I studied there for three years before I came to Skye, Scottish Gaelic in the evenings after work. I now have lots of options to study but I can’t do too much at once for fear of exhaustion and in some cases I have missed a September start date so some subjects will have to wait until next year. Things I am interested in: Ancient Greek, Latin refresher, German refresher, Swedish refresher, Modern Welsh (studied Middle Welsh briefly before but that’s some 900 years old), Old English, Scottish Gaelic refresher, Modern Irish and Sanskrit. I had to somehow cut that lot down, so checking for start dates and so forth. I ended up with Janet signing me up for Latin and Welsh and the others will have to wait for later.

Even with four lines combined my upstream is miserable, so I’m hoping it will suffice; 10.8 Mbps downstream TCP payload throughput should be ok for me to see the teacher and not fall over even ever Janet uses the internet, but it’s a real nuisance that I have no QoS support: one of the worst, if not the worst, failings of the Firebricks, the FB6xxx series at AA in this particular case more than my own FB2900. I don’t know if <whatever> app they are using employs QoS. Is QoS support with packet scheduling something that I could add in with a very fancy L3 switch?

Thank god I have such a number of bonded lines, as it gives me 100% uptime effectively, especially when combined with 3G and 4G. The college warns in technical requirements that you need to have a reliable internet connection, unfortunately doesn’t say anything about upstream and downstream throughput.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Study
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 08:45:13 AM »

I’m having problems with the quality of audio in Zoom. The teacher’s audio stream to me appears to my ears to be full of compression artefacts and all the higher frequencies are gone so that sibilants are largely indistinguishable - frequencies ≥ 5kHz are pretty much dead. I’m wondering about audio quality vs bandwidth settings. I read about some setting called ‘original sound’ - is anyone familiar with it ?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 10:29:23 AM »

I have not tried this setting, but here's a screen shot. There's a balloon with the explanation, I could not capture.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:05:12 AM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 01:05:54 PM »

Many thanks for that, really helpful  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 05:05:30 PM »

I’m struggling to get used to Zoom thus far. I should perhaps try and find a tutorial or two on YouTube ?

I’m really enjoying my Welsh and Latin classes. Welsh is hard going, even though I have the enormous benefit of speaking another Celtic language - the similarities are very strong in many places, and the differences on the other hand are often huge and surprising. There’s also the problem of two major dialect groups, North and South Welsh. Our teacher has been asked to teach both, and about half of us are North devotees, myself included, so everything new is introduced twice. The two halves each have different tutorial textbooks, I have the North Welsh book and I have an app for iOS which accompanies the book with native speaker audio samples, vocabulary and exercises. The app has a North/South switch in it, so there’s only one version to download, which contains both. It’s fun though, even though it’s work.

My weekend Latin classes are a delight, 2.5 hours every Saturday afternoon. The teacher is great and so are all the other students. Refreshing my Latin from 1977 is like meeting an old friend. I haven’t forgotten much, which reminds me of how useless my vocabulary was - I didn’t know enough in the first place even back then. I am by no means the most remote student. One of my classmates is in Moscow where apparently it’s now the deepest snow since 1956, over the tops of cars, and people are trying to dig cars out. Some of the students are completely new to the language but a good few are like me, using our substantial knowledge acquired long ago.

I’m struggling here with Zoom and a downloaded textbook which lives in the Kindle app on my iPad and reading the book requires switching to Kindle while Zoom is still running, requiring a certain degree of coordination. I’ve decided that there are advantages to a physical book. Not many though. I have a physical textbook for my Welsh course and it’s very large and the nightmare of trying to keep it open at the right page while I’m also using my iPad for Zoom is causing damage to the spine of the book, and trying to support the damned thing in a position where I can read it is a pain too. What I need for the Latin Kindle book is a second iPad, so I can run two screens at a time, one for Zoom and one for the Kindle textbooks. And luckily I do have a second iPad. My old one hasn’t been used in a while but it still works fine, so setting that up could be my job for this week.

anything