Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP charges monthly for FTTP vs copper long or short  (Read 777 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
ISP charges monthly for FTTP vs copper long or short
« on: December 06, 2020, 05:09:24 PM »

I would arguably expect that FTTP should cost less than copper per month from your ISP as the number of faults and the support costs will be vastly reduced, so the ISP’s costs should be far far lower.

I would arguably expect that FTTP should cost more than copper per month from your ISP as the number of faults will be vastly reduced, so the performance and reliability is far greater so it represents better value to the end-user.

Erm, ??? are both of these true? What do you think? Does your ISP charge more for FTTP than for FTTC or ADSL2+ ?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: ISP charges monthly for FTTP vs copper long or short
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:46:34 AM »

Home internet connections are sold on the basis of speed, so if it's faster it'll be more expensive. The price only comes down when there is genuine competition for a service. I also have to pay more for my FTTC connection because I am in a rural location (Market 1) so can't get any of the cheap deals.
 :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:59:03 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 02:47:41 PM »

Iirc, AA charges the same for FTTP and FTTC. FTTP is surely going to be far cheaper for the ISP, as I said.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 03:13:12 PM »

Iirc, AA charges the same for FTTP and FTTC. FTTP is surely going to be far cheaper for the ISP, as I said.
I'm not sure it will be cheaper for the ISP as I believe they pay a fixed amount for each line each month to Openreach irrespective of how reliable it is. In theory, once most lines are FTTP and the investment costs have been recouped then the prices should come down. I doubt it will happen though.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 03:24:08 PM »

Sorry, I meant cheaper because of their own support costs and repairs SFI2 charges and so on.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »

The ISP don't pay for repairs. That's OpenReach's costs.

FTTP is indeed much cheaper to maintain but there's a massive cost putting the fibre in the ground.

Many ISP's charge the exact same for lower tier VDSL2 and FTTP packages and many charge the exact same for Ultrafast packages via G.Fast or FTTP.

The OpenReach charge to the ISP is very similar for FTTC and FTTP.

OpenReach aren't going to pass on any savings to the ISP from fibre being cheaper to maintain until they have recovered some of the Billions they are spending putting it in the ground.

At the moment there's no reduction in their staff due to less repairs being needed.
Quite the opposite.
OpenReach have had to hire and train thousands of new engineers to deploy it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 02:12:49 AM »

Indeed, I wrote inaccurately; I should have written ‘fault-finding’ as RevK has often complained about pressure on AA for SFI2 charges when it is BT Wholesale’s responsibility to provide a working service that AA has paid for.

It’s a bit weird. When the openreach engineers come out, in such a situation, are they told that BTW is the CP, the customer, or the actual ISP itself, the indirect CP if that’s a useful term?

anything