Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rural FTTP?  (Read 763 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Rural FTTP?
« on: December 05, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »

Just wondering if anyone might know when rural areas might get FTTP rolled out? Are we reliant on BDUK as we were for FTTC?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Rural FTTP?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 03:10:22 PM »

Rural FTTP started rolling out in April this year.  :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »

Any ideas whether we might get it soon? Can't see us on the list, will all areas be covered or how does it work?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 03:16:50 PM »

BT engineer told me last week that FTTP rollout to remotest areas of Skye is already underway; don’t know how far they’ve got yet. Our man mentioned a number of specific areas.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 03:28:28 PM »

I have no definitive's to give you I'm afraid .... there are many and varied FTTP programmes in play and it depends which one your area may fall under.

The current 'Rural' roll out is what we call the final 20%, but there is another one to be implemented that is the final 10% ... basically really rural.  :)

PM me your postcode if you like and I'll see if there's anything showing in its current state against it ... I won't be able to look forward though to see when it may be happening. Others on here might be able to assist ??.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 03:50:53 PM »

The current 'Rural' roll out is what we call the final 20%, but there is another one to be implemented that is the final 10% ... basically really rural.  :)

Hmm, according to this (Old) Guardian data over 90% of the population live In cities.  I suspect they are including towns as well as cities but even so, getting down from 20% to 10% doesn’t sound all that rural?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2009/aug/18/percentage-population-living-cities

That said, I think we will all be facing great economic hardship as the country’s economy slowly recovers from Covid.    My personal prediction is that there’ll be many cutbacks and casualties.   It is not unreasonable to suggest, imho, that rural FTTP should be among those casualties.   And yes, I say that as one of the 10%.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »

Personally I stopped being optimistic about this kind of thing a long time ago, I live in Tenbury Wells which I guess is classified as rural, it took us years longer to get ADSL2 and FTTC.  The irony is that I watched Openreach install a fibre cable a couple of years ago to a local school literally past the end of my driveway, so I guess it's available for business clients.

Two (slightly larger) towns near to us also have FTTP (Bromyard and Leominster) which is also mildly annoying, combined with the fact that we also live in a not-spot where you can only get 3G if you stand outside. On the the other hand we have at least one excellent butcher ....

C

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 05:40:07 AM »

My postcode is IV49 9BN; and I know that wasn’t aimed at me, but I’d be extremely interested to know what’s going on.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »

My postcode is IV49 9BN; and I know that wasn’t aimed at me, but I’d be extremely interested to know what’s going on.

Not much going on as yet, Weaver .... just three on-site surveys completed thus far around the Corry/ A s-Ath Leathann locailty .... which is no big surprise as we survey from the Exchange outwards. 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »

That’s the next glen to the west of me. An t-Àth Leathann is Gàidhlig for "Broadford" NSBFD.

Has to be pretty good news then, never thought I’d live to see the day.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:37:59 PM by Weaver »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 03:44:34 PM »

That’s the next glen to the west of me. An t-Àth Leathann is Gàidhlig for "Broadford" NSBFD.

Has to be pretty good news then, never thought I’d live to see the day.

Ha ha .... you can sleep easier tonight, Weaver.  ;D

Thanks for the heads up on the translation .... I'll stick to 'Broadford' from her on in.  :lol:

anything