Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Journey to FTTP in Blyth, Northumberland.  (Read 9985 times)

lee2009

Re: Journey to FTTP in Blyth, Northumberland.
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2021, 10:13:19 PM »

just a little up date

or works still going on in my town, but seems to be lots of progress in my very street

blue pull rope has now been attached to some telelgraph poles, looks like this is in preperation to pull fiber cables to the individual poles?

dontasciime

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2021, 10:33:58 PM »

Or for the Smurf Circus

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2021, 11:12:54 PM »

blue pull rope has now been attached to some telelgraph poles, looks like this is in preperation to pull fiber cables to the individual poles?

Yes, correct.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2021, 01:40:57 AM »

ive just looked on the one network site, and omg its just lit up like a xmas tree for planned OR works, all of it road traffic orders, 3 of these are for my very street alone, ive never seen so many phone icons on this website before for blyth edit** all this work is arround the town center area

i suggest all you people in blyth town center area go take a alook at the one network site, as this planned work was not there last week, looks like most of it is planned for july

fttp is getting closer boys and girls closer then you think by looks of it

The work in my area was on the map months ago, the date keeps changing.  The initial date I think is a guesstimate as it appear when they apply for permission, it then changed once they got permission, but has changes a few times since then too.

Was meaning to ask, does anyone know if there is a time they have to do the work in once permission has been given?  You'd think given the works near me are on a bus route, they'd have to be specific of when disruption might occur.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »

The work in my area was on the map months ago, the date keeps changing.  The initial date I think is a guesstimate as it appear when they apply for permission, it then changed once they got permission, but has changes a few times since then too.

Was meaning to ask, does anyone know if there is a time they have to do the work in once permission has been given?  You'd think given the works near me are on a bus route, they'd have to be specific of when disruption might occur.

Permits & civils are a massive 'unknown' in any build programme - often we will have TM approved only for it to then be pushed out due to a 'clash of works'. Bus-stop suspensions/main arteries can be 90+ days to gain permits.

Once the permits are in place and the gangs start to break ground, or open up C/Way boxes, rod ducts etc - then all manner of issues can be found. There is no guaranteed timeline.

lee2009

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2021, 10:39:57 AM »

im loving seeing the work progress, it is taking a little longer then i thought, but on the other hand blyth is the biggest town in northumberland also a very old town so i guess this could be slowing things down, also the human maleware situation, overall i cant complain as i have been able to see lots of the work with my own eyes, often in my very street

fttp is so close i can almost touch it lol

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »

I have to ask - what is "human maleware? :P
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

lee2009

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2021, 01:28:16 PM »

I have to ask - what is "human maleware? :P

covid lol

lee2009

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2021, 01:38:21 PM »

another update.

1. not sure when this happened as i didnt see the work going on, but now numerous telegraph poles in my street now have large coils of cables mounted and attached to the poles, not sure what these cables are actually for

2. how ever a few days later i did see the boys pulling the blue rope through pipes next to the poles with the actual fiber cables attached, these fiber cables were then coiled up and the guy went up a ladder on the pole and added this coiled cable to the previoulsly coiled cables in point 1.

3. sky have sent a letter about super fast broadband going live in my street soon - asking me to pre register my interest.

we are clearly aproaching the end of this fttp build in my town / street, with the switch on date coming soon and been able to actualy order fttp, its been really interesting seeing all the work going on with my own eyes.

cant wait to finaly be able to order fttp, blyth is soon to go live at long last! (well at least in my street)

i guess and hope my next update will be when im actualy able to order it after its been turned on, as always ill update when i have any further info, thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread, i also love reading every other thread in the fttp roll out section, its all very interesting!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2021, 06:06:14 PM »

Thank you for the latest update. It has been an interesting ten-month journey, so far . . .  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2021, 07:40:44 PM »

3. sky have sent a letter about super fast broadband going live in my street soon - asking me to pre register my interest.

That's weird, I thought Super Fast was FTTC with FTTP being advertised as Ultra Fast? (really stupid naming scheme)

[Moderator edited to remove the majority of the previous post from the above quotation.]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 07:50:10 PM by burakkucat »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dontasciime

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2021, 08:42:23 PM »

Ultrafast Plus is a 500Mb/s package from Sky that they launched in July

The new package, which is delivered only through FTTP (Fibre to the Premises), is more than 10x faster than the UK’s average fibre speed and offers the UK’s fastest Speed Guarantee on a 500 Mb/s service. Sky Broadband’s Speed Guarantee means you can claim a month’s subscription back if your speed falls below the minimum guaranteed speed of 400 Mb/s.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2021, 12:29:03 AM »

Its hugely frustrating that ISPs can't even decide on a common terminology.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2021, 04:22:03 PM »

The service is now live. See the new topic "FTTP in Blyth - Now LIVE".

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]