Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fury as Alternative UK Fibre Networks Hit by New Openreach Fee  (Read 1622 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Fury as Alternative UK Fibre Networks Hit by New Openreach Fee
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:07:14 PM »

It seems Openreach are wanting to charge a fee to anyone using leased lines to aggregate FTTP customers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/12/fury-as-alternative-uk-fibre-networks-hit-by-new-openreach-fee.html
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Fury as Alternative UK Fibre Networks Hit by New Openreach Fee
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 01:29:28 AM »

I will be surprised if ofcom ignores it, if it was just a generic price rise on leased lines then BT could argue its in reflection to their costs, but a surcharge just because its been used as backhaul for FTTP services is a blatant anti competitive move.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 03:36:51 AM »

Its absolutely baffling that they would even attempt this.  You pay for a pipe of a given size, how you use it is none of the carriers business, data is data.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 10:11:47 AM »

Reading between the lines I think OR are attempting this because this area is one which is not regulated because

as they are not part of the relevant market where we have Significant Market Power (SMP)

although I think they are pushing their luck. Lets see if OFCOM have any teeth and are fit for purpose.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 05:17:13 PM »

You pay for a pipe of a given size, how you use it is none of the carriers business, data is data.

And if the data being carried is encrypted then only the sender(s) and recipient(s) are privy to the contents.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »

Reading between the lines I think OR are attempting this because this area is one which is not regulated because

although I think they are pushing their luck. Lets see if OFCOM have any teeth and are fit for purpose.

Stuart

I still don't get how they can argue this though.  If they have significant market power for leased lines, how can they NOT have significant market power for leased lines carrying FTTP traffic?  Surely what the lines are used for is completely irrelevant?

anything