Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky Router Question  (Read 1688 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Sky Router Question
« on: December 01, 2020, 12:31:53 AM »

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section

Wonder if someone can please shed some light on this as I have no experience with Sky broadband.

My daughter is sharing a flat. They have a Sky ER110. I have logged into the unit and it would appears that they have ADSL2+ (not fibre) as the router is synched at 13,000 / 800.

This unit seems very poor and I wanted to replace it with a third party router.

I understand that the TP Link W9970 will work from having read some comments.

1. Could someone confirm that the W9970 works with Sky.

2. I would also need to configure the W9970 which would require the ADSL username and password. Can one call Sky to get these details? Have tried googling this and can't find any answer apart from some talk of DHCP option 61. Which I don't understand.

Sorry to ask such basic questions but have always bought and configured my own router and have no experience whatsoever with the likes of Sky, Virgin, etc

Many thanks for any info provided
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 11:05:36 AM by risk_reversal »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Sky Router Question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 12:50:40 AM »

Sorry I’m no help at all. But there will be a Sky user around somewhere who can help you.

Any particular reason why this model of router?

And any reason why it has to be Sky? If not you can have any router you like.

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »

If it's ADSL then it's very straightforward and you can use pretty much any ADSL capable modem/router as Sky don't use any uncommon standards on ADSL. DHCP Option 61 is only relevant for VDSL on Sky.

For ADSL, it's just the usual PPPoA, VPI = 0, VCI = 38, VC-MUX and CHAP authentication. Sky won't give you the PPP username and password if you call them, however you don't need them. A username of "install@o2broadband.co.uk" and a password of "install" will work fine*.

With regard to the W9970, I don't doubt it will work, however it is only Wireless-N, not AC like the Sky ER110, so you may find it is a bit of a downgrade in terms of wireless performance.

* The reason this works is that these are the credentials used when an O2 broadband router is first connected, so need to work in order that the routers used by ex-O2 customers continue to work after O2 Broadband was bought by Sky. If you prefer, you can extract your actual Sky username and password using a procedure like this https://www.georgebuckingham.com/sky-fibre-router-vdsl-password/ and then use these as your PPPoA credentials, but this is by no means necessary.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 11:00:21 AM »

siofjofj, that is most kind.

I have the same TP Link model myself and have just checked in the set up menu and under the manual set up, I can see Sky ADSL in the list (with same details ie PPPoA, etc). Many thanks for providing the username / password.

I can also see in the W9970 set up the listing for VDSL (see attachement below) which shows VDSL_Sky(MER)_VDSL.

Question: I presume this is the setting that I should use for Fibre as I have told my daughter to get a fibre upgrade from Sky.

Thanks for providing the link to the manner in which I can extract the username / password for VDSL.

As you say the wireless on the W9970 is very poor and basic so I will be disabling it and using a separate wap a cheap Netgear R6120.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 11:06:24 AM by risk_reversal »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »

DHCP Option 61 is only relevant for VDSL on Sky.

They use it on FTTP also.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »

Question: I presume this is the setting that I should use for Fibre as I have told my daughter to get a fibre upgrade from Sky.
Yes, that's correct. In the case of VDSL however, you should either use the extracted username and password, or use the generic username "abcdef123456@skydsl" and generic password "abcd1234" (or similar), not the install@o2broadband/install combination.

They use it on FTTP also.
Good to know, I'd forgotten they offer it now.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 02:08:49 PM »

Yes, that's correct. In the case of VDSL however, you should either use the extracted username and password, or use the generic username "abcdef123456@skydsl" and generic password "abcd1234" (or similar), not the install@o2broadband/install combination.

Many thanks