Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Kaspersky Trouble  (Read 5372 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Kaspersky Trouble
« on: November 30, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »

I am not able to log in to Kaspersky as it will not recognise my email address and /or password, tried to change password but I need to log in to do that, clicking 'Forgotten Password' is no help as the email address is the one I signed up with but changed months ago.

I have now been informed auto renewal was selected, (not by me) and now £34.33 will be taken out of my account, I did manage to get an email message to them i think/hope explaining this but have had no response, I'm tempted to uninstall the anti virus but I'd like my money back.

Any ideas please, or should I cut my losses and install a free antivirus?
Also I'm having a new PC delivered Wednesday and would like to have transferred the anti virus.
i'm running Win 10.

Regards,

Peter

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Kaspersky Trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 04:45:25 PM »

I have never ever used an antivirus program. Windows Defender of course does no harm, so I have left it running. I just stick to securing the operating system correctly so that malicious and unwanted exes and dlls cannot be installed or if installed cannot run and I do this with Windows’ standard security mechanisms (not available in ‘home’ editions).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:16:04 PM by Weaver »

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 04:56:12 PM »

Any ideas please, or should I cut my losses and install a free antivirus?

If you decide to try a free AV give Avast a try i have been using it for ages and i prefer it to the others i have used in the past -

https://uk.pcmag.com/antivirus/118066/avast-free-antivirus
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:12:25 PM by maxheadroom »

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 06:53:06 PM »

Just use Win Defender...
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »

+1
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 07:49:40 PM »

I don’t link any such add-in virus scanners which interfere with the operating system’s normal functioning. Stick to stuff written by Microsoft who know what they’re doing. In a correctly secured system, malware cannot run anyway unless it is installed intentionally by an administrator, so don’t ever log in as an administrator; reduce the privileges of your own account to be a normal user, having first made an additional administrator account for your own use only when doing maintenance including app installations.

You need to read up on the CACLs and XCACLS commands for setting ACLs (or use the GUI to set ACLs), and read up on setting SRP: see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-application-control/applocker/using-software-restriction-policies-and-applocker-policies

To correctly configure a Windows NT family o/s you need to not ever be an administrator, set ACLs correctly for the whole file system and set SRP suitably so that no apps can run outside approved directories. Set ACLs so that only administrators can modify eg exes and dlls in the directories where executables are allowed to live. It is strongly recommended to delete all random directories below the root \ eg : c:\random_app\ and set an ACL on the root so that directories can not be created; this keeps things tidy and prevents app installers from creating directories that are not properly secured. Make all app installation directories themselves read-only so that apps cannot create junk user data files where the app’s exe code lives.

Apps that refuse to run on a well secured system can either be hacked around a bit to fix them or else they can be run either in a virtual machine instead, or on a machine that has no important data in it.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »

everyone is entitled to their own opinions  ;)

mine for windows is F-secure AV only (because its gets 100% detection on Real World on AV-C. and lightest on windows system on AV-C and gets good scores on AV-test, its no.1 fir least resource usage  -windows defender is heavier..near the end of the chart so on of the hungriest AVs - even if it IS built-in

along with securing the OS as Weaver says, for e.g. create a standard account and use that so your not a user with Admin privileges, loads you can do just google it

that's my opinion anyway
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:46:07 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73