Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Explorer Very Slow to Create New Folder  (Read 3856 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Explorer Very Slow to Create New Folder
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 01:33:07 AM »

possible causes.

explorer addon's (many apps add things like right click menu's or other additions such as google drive e.g.)
network drives
malware
slow attached storage

to check for addon's you could fire up something like process explorer, and right click the executable to see what's running on it.  Also autoruns program will give you info in the explorer tab.

pxr5

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 02:53:30 PM »

CTRL-Shift -N. Keyboard Shortcut to create new folder. Is there a delay with that way?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 03:47:40 PM »

CTRL-Shift -N. Keyboard Shortcut to create new folder. Is there a delay with that way?
There is indeed, tried that previously.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 04:10:43 PM »

possible causes.

explorer addon's (many apps add things like right click menu's or other additions such as google drive e.g.)
network drives
malware
slow attached storage

to check for addon's you could fire up something like process explorer, and right click the executable to see what's running on it.  Also autoruns program will give you info in the explorer tab.

Thanks for the interest and suggestions.

I have previously run Win task manager, displaying on a second VDU while the delay was active but can't see any process struggling or not responding.
I'am convinced the issue is somehow network related as previously reported, running in Win safe mode without network support completely cures, in safe mode with network support the issue is still active.

Remember I have the same issue on all 3 of my Win 10 PC's with different Win 10 Home revisions, the only common factor I can think of is the LAN connection.

I run the latest Bitdefender on 2 of the PC's plus Malwarebytes Premium, just Win Defender on the other, all fully up to date, don't think I have a malware or virus issue.

I do have a WD NAS on Gb. LAN connection, however, the delays experienced are writing to internal SSD's in all cases.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 05:02:30 PM »

This is more or less a continuation of your previous thread https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21085.0.html with added features  :)

Yes, your absolutely correct of course, the "FDResPub" work around with Win Task Scheduler did work for me up until a few months ago when I added a new Freeview PVR to the network, doesn't work any more even with the PVR disconnected again.
Still waiting for a proper MS fix for this well known and documented issue which they won't even admit exists.

Still reluctant to perform a full Win reset, have had bad experiences previously.

Thanks for the "tenforums" link, will give that a try.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 02:26:32 PM »

To finally update this post, never did get to the bottom of the issue even after consulting various forums and many very well informed patrons.

Finally bit the bullet and performed a complete fresh Win 10 re-install on my desktop PC's upgrading both to Win 10 Pro from Win 10 Home, so far all good, no return of the issue.  :fingers:
Pages: 1 [2]

anything