Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FTTC - Good Downstream, Bad Upstream.  (Read 4585 times)

Uploader

Re: FTTC - Good Downstream, Bad Upstream.
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2022, 12:44:50 PM »

Probably not directly relevant to this situation where a bridged-tap appears to be the issue but an example where other factors can directly influence a VDSL-2 line US performance/parameters only, happened to my line at the start of the original Covid-19 lock down, 2020, details here in this rather long post:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,24606.msg413899.html#msg413899

Thankfully "Uploader" is receiving good support from his ISP on the issue which certainly was not the case with my ISP, Plusnet, at the time who were very keen to use the Covid lock down restrictions to avoid getting involved while my neighbour, who's line turned out to be the source of my issue was having no problem getting OR via his ISP, BT to address the fault.

This would have had me tearing my hair out!

Uploader

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2022, 03:22:41 PM »

I've got the HG612 back on as I wanted to see what the HLog looked like on the 'new spare pair'

definitely a different shape right? confirming that it is indeed a Bridged Tap still..

Unfortunately it looks like the pair we got switched from was the better performing copper of the two  :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2022, 04:07:18 PM »

. . . they believe they've traced the fault to a 150mtr section underground in the road ducts, unfortunately this requires a heavy lift team to get the covers up in the road, it might also require a road closure!

It's progress, but seems like a really weird fault to have a bridge tap on multiple pairs?

Unless in a dim and distant previous repair to that 150m underground section resulted in a new length of cable being pulled in and there is a stub section of the old cable still in situ and connected, at one end, to the new cable.

The chap in the hoist said they've tried all the other spare pairs and they were worse and some were even showing as going to ground with I guess means they're earth faults?

Yes, earth contact faults.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Uploader

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2022, 03:28:13 PM »

Unless in a dim and distant previous repair to that 150m underground section resulted in a new length of cable being pulled in and there is a stub section of the old cable still in situ and connected, at one end, to the new cable.

Yes, earth contact faults.

We've finally reached a successful conclusion (I hope!)

Had an experienced engineer out today, sent him straight down to where the last couple of Engineers had traced the fault to and he said there was an issue, few hours later I get a phone call to say he found the issue... 'Lightening Protection Joint in the roadway box just outside the cabinet'

So this joint has been affecting everyone supplied by this cabinet for years!

I went down to have a look and he was showing me the three way crimps that feed it, Is this something you've come across before?

Stats looks quite good now, hopefully in a few days the DLM will correct to a full 20 Upstream sync  :fingers:

Thank you everyone for all your help, I'm so glad we've got somewhere in the end!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2022, 04:58:22 PM »

That's quite a result if everyone on the cabinet has been improved.  Shame they wont know who got it fixed, they owe you a few beers.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2022, 07:49:56 PM »

That's quite a result if everyone on the cabinet has been improved.  Shame they wont know who got it fixed, they owe you a few beers.

Would be interesting to look at various addresses served by that cabinet and see if estimated speeds stated by the BT Wholesale checker increase in due course.

Uploader

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2022, 07:51:47 PM »

Indeed, I was rather shocked when I realised how many others it must have been affecting.

The HLog is looking very nice now, HG612 managed to Sync at 80/20 :cool: should hopefully keep me happy until we possibly get FTTP in a year or twos time..

Uploader

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2022, 07:53:29 PM »

Would be interesting to look at various addresses served by that cabinet and see if estimated speeds stated by the BT Wholesale checker increase in due course.

I will try and keep an eye on the neighbours values from the BT Wholesale checker, as I'd noticed that their line too was also showing as Bridge Tap, but without knocking and inspecting their setup I'd have no way of telling if it was CPE or External, they also had a very low upload of around 7, so I'll report back if it changes  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2022, 10:40:16 PM »

. . . 'Lightening Protection Joint in the roadway box just outside the cabinet'

<snip>

I went down to have a look and he was showing me the three way crimps that feed it, Is this something you've come across before?

It's not something of which I have had experience but I do remember, possibly nine years ago, that there was a redundant lightning protector still connected to all the pairs at a pole top located in the outskirts of Ewhurst, Surrey. Walter Willcox had discovered it whilst attempting to help residents with poor broadband connections. On telling a visiting Openreach engineer about it, the engineer said it would be a simple task to disconnect it (it was not doing any good as the earth connection had been removed many years ago) but he could not go to the location, as his van was fitted with a tracker. Ever resourceful, Walter enquired if the engineer's ladder and tools were tracked. The answer was "no", so Walter suggested he put the ladder onto the roof-rack of his car and he would drive the engineer to the location. The engineer left his mobile phone in his van and went off with Walter to perform a 10 minute fix.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2022, 10:41:41 PM »

The HLog is looking very nice now, . . .

Yes, that is excellent.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2022, 07:39:48 AM »

Great news that it is fixed, and an interesting fix too. :)
What is not great is the time it has taken Openreach to sort it. :no:
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2022, 12:29:36 PM »

It's not something of which I have had experience but I do remember, possibly nine years ago, that there was a redundant lightning protector still connected to all the pairs at a pole top located in the outskirts of Ewhurst, Surrey.

Never known them to be fitted on pole-top equipment ?? Certainly, pre BB, there were quite a lot of PU's (Protection Units) installed on the UG network, though.

Typically, they would be in places with a higher chance of being struck, for example we had one near my locality which fed numerous monitoring equipment, weather radars, signal repeater stations, wind-farm controllers ... all on top of a bl00dy big hill.

The problem was, with the advent of DSL, they couldn't get a signal due to the distances involved until somebody (not myself) worked out there was a 100pr buried joint containing these pesky PU's. Once cut out of the circuit, they were up and running albeit on a slow speed, but still up and running.

The OP was obviously closer to the DSLAM as he at least had a service, just not optimized. Good result.
Pages: 1 2 [3]