Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MTU over Zen FTTP oddity  (Read 2360 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: MTU over Zen FTTP oddity
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 03:30:15 AM »

If you think about it, smaller MTU will potentially increase latency, more packets to process.

When trying to push high-speeds yes, but the whole point is bufferbloat is only really an issue for low-bandwidth time sensitive traffic where that is not an issue.

Limiting the available bandwidth is not a practical solution when you cannot guarantee the size of the link, which you can never be 100% sure of on a contended network.  Its unlikely to be a common problem on a good ISP with a good backhaul provider, but a cheaper ISP with a cheaper backhaul provider who has more contention, it still may be.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bottlerocket

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2022, 12:20:18 PM »

Previously when running pfSense/OpenWRT I need to set the MTU of the PPPoE bearer interface to 1508 and connect that directly to the modem, or ensure the switch both were connected to passed jumbo packets. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 12:36:18 PM by bottlerocket »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2022, 02:07:43 PM »

These days you only need to set PPPoE to an MTU of 1500 and pfSense takes care of the rest.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything