Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PC Advisor Broadband Survey 2008 - ISP ratings  (Read 2195 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
PC Advisor Broadband Survey 2008 - ISP ratings
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:19:29 PM »

Don't know whether its just me but some of these ratings seem a little generous to say the least.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=105129&pn=13

[edit by Admin]
Changed Title
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:56:31 PM by kitz »

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: ISP ratings
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 01:22:32 PM »

i think i'd agree with ya on that one unky
Paul

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »

I am also going to agree.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »

Hmmm reading between the lines I think I can see where some of those results have come from.

The average user has no idea - nor do they care- about the differences between LLU and IPStream ISPs.  This obviously puts the IPStream ISPs at a disadvantage when it comes to cost.
How can the likes of a decent IPStream ISP compare when you have the likes of TT and Sky who are practically giving away adsl because its subsidised from profits from mobile phones or TV.
BT isnt allowed to subsidise one part of the company from other sources, and OFCOM regulates that BTwholesale costs are kept at a higher figure than what the LLU's do.  Unfair... but your average Joe Bloggs wouldnt know.

Then you have more clued up users who are likely to use Zen etc..  they rate the service highly but cant possibly complete with LLU adsl2+ nor on cost.. and they know it.. so thats were IPStream ISPs have an unfair disadvantage.

Bit surprised at TTs average download speed and a couple of the others.. thats certainly not the r/l experience of some of the lines Ive seen. 
Surely they couldnt have prioritised certain throughput could they?  Theres no way I'd expect them to come above Zen, Plusnet, MAAF and even BT.
Virgin... hmmm  shame they didnt separate out the dsl and cable results, because Virgin dsl... well... its shall we say the very poor relation.   :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything