Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New 4G USB ‘dongle’ i/f  (Read 4547 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: New 4G USB ‘dongle’ i/f
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 10:21:11 AM »

I already have a 4G router for emergency use or hospital visits. My ipad has a 4G AA Three SIM in it too. The router is NATing too. I would hope the 4G donut has a chance of working as it’s in a direct line of sight to the base-station and it’s facing the correct window. I’ve tried an external antenna plugged into the dongle but that doesn’t seem to have produced any improvement; in fact I’m unsure as to whether things are better or worse.

I would like it if they could find some time to test the alternative firmware.

L2TP brings the annoyance of reduced MTU I presume, as with all tunnels.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: New 4G USB ‘dongle’ i/f
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 09:10:24 PM »

I went from a portable 4G router, to my phone as a second SIM (huge battery hog), to a mains operated, because it doubled the theoretical speed due to enabling carrier aggregation and was the only way to reliably integrate it into pfSense which needs a persistent ethernet interface to boot.

The portable router would regularly lose the high-speed/frequency band, but the Three tower is many rows of houses away so likely gets deflected a lot.  The mains operated keeps a solid lock almost all the time.

My thought is that if its going to have to run in NAT mode anyway, might as well use a unit that guarantees the best reception and speed.  In my case, I still planned to yank out the mains operated router to take it with me on my weekends to Nottingham (which never happened thanks to pandemic).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]