Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Funding  (Read 1943 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Funding
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »

Typical and disgusting.  If anything the funding should have been increased to account for telcos having to make adjustments due to not being able to use Huawei any more.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 12:08:51 AM »

It was never going to be achievable by 2025.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »

In the context of the many hardships we’re all going to face as a result economic disaster of Covid-19, how many people would prioritise Gigabit broadband as top priority?

Emphatically, not me!   And I’m stuck on 20 odd’ Mbps Fibre to Cab.

Pointless rollout of Gigabit home broadband should be abandoned for the foreseeable future, and better still, for ever, imho.   There are far, far, better things on which to spend the small amount money that’ll be spendable. 

I’d be horrified to think that whilst there’s going to be huge unemployment,  salary and pensions cuts, and no money to resurrect rural transport services (also a thing people voted for), smug townies can continue to gain bragging rights about Netflix streaming bit rates.   :o

Emphasise again, just my opinion. But felt quite strongly.    :-[

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 03:15:23 AM »

Seems like it wont stop Gigabit though, as long as its Virgin and Openreach.  The problem (according to new starters/smaller telcos) is its preventing competition and keeping rural locations royally screwed.

I see your point, but the idea is to create a level playing field so that anyone, anywhere can join the digital economy.  Everyone having fast reliable broadband is supposed to open up the possibility of new jobs in areas we cannot necessarily forsee right now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 03:19:20 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 09:24:11 AM »

Pointless rollout of Gigabit home broadband should be abandoned for the foreseeable future, and better still, for ever, imho.

smug townies can continue to gain bragging rights about Netflix streaming bit rates.   

That really is very blinkered and strange thing to say, the entire point of the the expenditure was so that those people who mostly chose to live in the sticks would eventually have decent broadband, most towns do have and will have decent broadband without help from the government, you'd clearly like to see us smug townies continue to have decent broadband whilst others do not. As a smug townie I'm more than happy that some of the tax I pay goes to help provide better broadband for those living in non viable area's although currently there are more pressing issues, but that will not be the case for ever!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:26:24 AM by Ronski »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »

That really is very blinkered and strange thing to say, the entire point of the the expenditure was so that those people who mostly chose to live in the sticks would eventually have decent broadband, most towns do have and will have decent broadband without help from the government, you'd clearly like to see us smug townies continue to have decent broadband whilst others do not. As a smug townie I'm more than happy that some of the tax I pay goes to help provide better broadband for those living in non viable area's although currently there are more pressing issues, but that will not be the case for ever!

Thanks for the thoughts, but most people I know would rather have a decent bus service than Gigabit broadband.  When I moved here early noughties there was a bus an hour.  It's now one a week, at 8am on a Saturday morning, returning 5pm.  A decent village bus AND Gigabit would have been fantastic, but post Covid, we are likely to get neither.  That much seems blindingly obvious to me, and not worth bleating about.

Yes, a few still need and have not got decent broadband stuck on single digit speeds, and that might be a reasonable priority.  But they don't need Gigabit,  those have got a few 10s Mbps are generally happy with it.  I still struggle to understand why any private home 'needs' (as opposed to just 'wants') GBPS speeds?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 12:25:11 PM »

The problem with a bus service is it's never likely to be profitable, so will always require public subsidy forever, and I'm sure you can see that this will get very expensive. Once fibre is installed, the maintenance and on going costs will then be covered by the operator at no further cost to the tax payer.

The speeds people need is entirely dependant on what they do, and how many people use that connection. When I was on VDSL getting 40/6Mbps my cloud back up software would bring the connection to it's knee's because the upstream was swamped. My brother works from home, a private home, his partner lives at another private home, my brother has a permanent VPN connection between the two sites so that he can do admin for his partners business, if they both had gigabit symmetrical connections I'm pretty sure he'd have no complaints about working across the VPN being sluggish, he would be able to access the computer and data just as if it was on the local network, but with only a 20Mbps upload each end it is effectively a 20/20 connection.  My NAS is at my brothers house, this is now my cloud backup, means I'm in control of my data, and if I need to restore a lot I could just pick up the NAS and bring it home, with a 1Gbps symmetrical connection I wouldn't need to, but unless it was cheap I'd rather just pop round and pick it up.

There are of course those users who have multiple connections, or very fast connections that simply have them because they like to have them, rather than need to have, that's their choice though even if it is a waste of money.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 01:20:38 PM »

Other half worked from home during first lockdown.

Data access over VPN with perpetual video link to other employees. I soon earned that I needed to make sure I looked decent when passing by behind her office chair, but that's another story.   ::)

Our 25-ish Mbps was plenty adequate for the above, with more than enough in reserve for me to get on with my own retirement chores (such as, a bit of daytime Netflix).

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »

To be honest whether its improved bus routes or gigabit broadband I suspect its not an either or situation. We've seen many times how the government makes cut backs only to find extra money when it wants to. Not making it political but whatever happened to that £1 billion May pulled out of no where to give the DUP a couple of years ago?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »

Our 25-ish Mbps was plenty adequate for the above, with more than enough in reserve for me to get on with my own retirement chores (such as, a bit of daytime Netflix).

Yes for you and you're situation, but you're judging what others may need based on your needs - every ones needs and expectations are different  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 08:58:15 PM »

Yes for you and you're situation, but you're judging what others may need based on your needs - every ones needs and expectations are different  ;)

Indeed, once everyone has Gigabit then it becomes plausible to dramatically increase the quality of video streams which could be enormously useful for some kinds of work.  Right now its kinda pointless trying to show someone anything on a livestream, its usually too poor quality to see properly.

Plus accessing the company Intranet as fast as if you were at work?  Remote desktop without it feeling like one?

If I had Gigabit broadband already, I might not have just spent a fortune on SSDs.  Due to my disabilities, I never know if or when I feel well enough to play a given game, so I have to keep as many varied games installed at the same time as possible, because it can take hours to download one and by then I don't feel well enough to play it.

People see gaming as a luxury, but its probably the only thing thats kept my mind active, my hand to eye coordination tuned and cardiovascular system healthy.  Some days its the only thing worth getting out of bed for, the only sense of achievement I've gotten that day, week or month.

During the pandemic, imagine how useful a high quality VR chat solution could have been for loved ones to feel closer to each other?  Right now I think the technology hugely gets in the way.  I have a friend who lives about a mile away and I can't even reliably video chat to him and my connection(s) aren't even that bad.

Getting FTTP to as many people as possible should dramatically increase the reliability and consistency of the connection, as we won't have a system propped up by error correction, buggy modems and such wildly different latencies due to that, even if people don't get Gigabit.  Plus of course, the risk of lightening taking out your whole network via the phone line is eliminated.

Believe me, my gut instinct used to be "lucky sods living in rural areas, they can't expect the same support as those of us in cities who aren't so lucky as to live in such a peaceful place" but I was a lot younger and before this forum.  How anyone can be a regular here and still feel like that, I do not know.

anything