Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgear DG834 v3 and v4  (Read 5084 times)

Experimentor

• Just arrived
Netgear DG834 v3 and v4
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:38:56 AM »

Hi all,

I thought that my experiences with the v3 and v4 versions of the DG834 may be of some interest.

Based on ADSLMAX , line attention 41-42 db, re-synching in the early morning, BT ADSL v1 faceplate, DSLAM with TI chipset, Default SRNM 9db,
Interleaved line, and both routers using the latest firmware

these are latest stats for each router (using the excellent RouterStats)

v3      v4

Uptime  86 Days      1 day         

SRNM    9 - 2      7.9 - 6.8 (tweaked Target Margin from 9 to 6 using RouterStats)

Sync.    7424      5664   

CRC    ~23,000      18

ES     0             13

HEC    0           15

Not too concerned about the big difference in sync rates!!! at the moment as I am currently migrating to ADSL2+ (Btw flavour).

However I am beginning to think that the  ADSL2+ sync rate with a V4 may not be better than the ADSLMAx sync rate with a v3.  :hmm:

I have noticed that bitswapping was reported to be ON with the V3 but is OFF with the v4.

Does anyone know if the v4 has bitswapping functionality?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Netgear DG834 v3 and v4
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:34:32 AM »

I dont know how conclusive it is..  but I have seen other rumours about the sync rate on adsl2+ (WBC) not being as good as on adsl1 (IPStream maxdsl).

Will have to see what more users on the new WBC product report before anything conclusive can be drawn though.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Experimentor

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »

Hi Kitz

Having read a number of forums on the WBC ADSL2+ rollout by Entanet I knew that there have been issues for some their users who upgraded to ADSL2+
and for some who have not upgraded but whose connection was moved on to the WBC platform.

I was hoping to to be part of the WBC trials earlier this year, but my exchange (WBC enabled November last year according to Samknows) wasn't included!!

Looks as if the trials may be continuing and I will be joining them (hopefully within the next 10 days or so).

However on the brighter side I am expecting  Support/Information should be vastly superior to that I received when moving to Max from 2Mb fixed rate service (synched lower on Max). Took 2 months for BT Retail to acknowledge that my line had a fault and arrange for OpenReach to replace 20 metres of damaged (crushed according to the engineer), unducted underground cable. They kept on sending me HomeHubs and Voyagers (6 in total) to fix the low sync rate problem.

In fact this has already been proved true as I have been on the receiving end of some issues with the ADSL2+ ordering process.

At least I have  BE/O2 or Sky as fallback options if the migration proves to be a disaster.

It looks as if I have answered my question re v4 bitswapping - I tried setting it with DMT 8.07 but it is still reporting 0 for bitswap totals and setting.
Perhaps it is working - but the router is not reporting correctly.  Also the DMT keepalive option doesn't work with this router -  perhaps I missed a setting!.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:04:07 PM »

Yes enta support should be a lot better than BT.
Good luck with WBC :)

I'm afraid I dont have a Netgear DG834G v4 so Im unsure about the bitswapping .. or the other DMT query.  Sorry :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 04:40:57 PM »

Hi Ent.

Can you post the details of both firmware verisons for me please. There have been some reported cases of the v4 Chip (which is currently different to that of the v3) not having the same connection speeds and other issues since BTW have upgraded the firmware on certain exchanges.

To try and prove this point and locate the source the more information you can provide me with will be great.

PS: Its good to be back :P

Azzaka
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

anything