Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Remote Farm House In The Peak District.  (Read 2870 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Remote Farm House In The Peak District.
« on: January 23, 2024, 04:46:46 PM »

There is a good possibility that I will book this remote old farm house for a weeks holiday in February, There is No WiFi / Internet.  :(

Using this ofcom checker
https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

There is chance that there will be some 'Data' signal inside the property (it will be thick stone walls), it's fringe area, No 5G.

My iPad has No sim slot, my phone is on PAYG and is used for emergency only and I never turn the 'Data' on and normally use our home/ others WiFi to surf with.

My wife's phone is on a basic EE contract with limited data use.

Not sure how far an iPhone 'HOT' spot signal will go ?.

What idea do you have for me to use my iPad and Laptop on WiFi for the week.

Our Car has WiFi, but would have to sit in it with the engine running, not ideal. :(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Remote Farm House In The Peak District.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 05:11:56 PM »

My first reaction would be to say to manage as we used to before we had wifi/internet but I know that is easier said than done nowadays.
I'd first inquire of the house owner what the mobile signal is like (and on which networks) as the coverage checkers are notoriously unreliable. Once you know that you then need to think about how much data you actually need as if it's only for emails it won't be a lot and you could likely use one of the phones you have.
As for a hot spot signal it'll certainly work fine in a large room but thick stone walls might not play (true for any wifi).
Failing that just pack plenty of board games!
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 05:28:04 PM »

Yes I remember the days before mobile phones  :)

It's owned by the National Trust and yes I have asked, they have no idea if there is any signal.

What's these mobile routers or is that going over the top ?.

I use these for our car Sim https://www.rwgmobile.wales/rates-plans-eng-per/

Might it be easier just to get a cheap data sim for my phone and use that.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 07:56:04 AM »

A mobile router is a router with a sim slot but is overkill for a one-off like this as you can hotspot your phone as you have said
A cheap data sim is probably your best bet if you can work out which network is likely to work (are there no reviews of the property that refer to the mobile signal?)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 05:42:00 AM »

To be fair, isn't the point of a holiday like that to get away from technology? ;)

Sounds like one of the circles of hell to me.  ::)

But yeah, the cheap 4G routers tend to have much worse reception than phones so better off with a PAYG monthly SIM in your phone from someone like SMARTY, VOXI, etc.  But you really need to know which networks are in range.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 02:35:25 PM »

So I booked this place and you get a 'National Trust Cottages Access Statement' pdf and there in black and white it says
Additional Information
• Assistance dogs are welcome at all our cottages
There is no mobile phone signal to the cottage.

Well when this place was built in 1700's they did not have internet or mobile phones but at least it does have mains water, electricity, and even a TV so I can manager without internet, but not sure about my wife and our daughter and her boyfriend will do with out internet  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 09:31:57 PM »

At our age I like to know we could get a call to the emergency services if one of us took ill.
I also use technology to look up places to go and visit then program our car sat-nav route and send the route to the car for the next days trip.
Booking meals etc. booking a venue we want to visit the next day.
Use normally WiFi but as this has none that's why I need to check out this mobile signal.
So been doing a bit more digging.

Using https://www.cellmapper.net/map  it's telling me there is a EE Phone Booster aerial (LTE Band 3) in the valley below about 800M away at a level of 142 M and this holiday home is up the hill at 210 M above sea level. from maps and photos looks like some wooded area down the valley.
Not sure if there is a line of sight. 
also going to speak with EE to see they can give us more info.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 01:05:59 AM »

At our age I like to know we could get a call to the emergency services if one of us took ill.

Not even age, I have enough medical issues to be very concerned about going anywhere without coverage.  Unlikely to happen given I have to use public transport to go anywhere too.

You'd think they would at least have a landline for emergencies given you'd expect it being older people more inclined to go on a holiday like this.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 07:33:40 AM »

Sounds like you might at least get enough outdoor coverage for emergency use, which will work on any network if there is a signal.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 05:07:15 PM »

I'm surprised they couldnt advise you if there was coverage when you asked before you made the booking.  Especially since the confirmation came through with notification.  I would have thought that could have allowed you to rethink about proceeding with your location.   
A lot of their remote locations are advertised as off grid for people who do want to be able to get away from it all, but conversely some people may need an emergency link.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 07:48:41 PM »

Yes you would think there would be more info about phone signal from NT.

I remembered that I had EE contact number 0800 956 6000 and I went through the menu to
'Technical' Phone problems.

Then spent the next two hours on our landline phone with this lady over in Ireland who could not have been more helpful, we talked in detail about there local phone cells to this property, the hilly terrain, the Forrest this property is near and the thick stone walls of the house etc.
I think she was taken back by the amount of data I had on this. (being in research most of my life does come in handy  ;) )

She thinks there should not be a problem with the EE phone signal,
 but she was not satisfied
as she is going to spend more time going into this and map all the local cells out and there polar diagrams for the aerials and even EE satellite signal data for that area then get back to me.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 12:11:04 PM »

Update.
The National Trust have just sent me this.

We are pleased to inform you that BT has completed the installation of WiFi at your cottage. Please note any issues are supported by BT

That just 'Saved My Bacon' with no phone signal and they said there was no WiFi life would be not very good  :D

It must be FTTC (No FTTP area ) via ducts as street view shows a BT manhole at the top of the long drive and no poles, the green cabinet looks like is 2200M so it's not going to be supper fast speeds but it will do.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 12:13:43 PM by tickmike »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 01:09:38 PM »

... the green cabinet looks like is 2200M so it's not going to be supper fast speeds but it will do.

Could be ADSL at that distance depending on where the exchange is so don't expect too much on the speeds.  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 07:29:01 PM »

Probably good thing if its slow.  Last thing you want is to go into the middle of nowhere and everyone just ends up on social media.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2024, 11:34:51 AM »

I had no need to worry EE mobile 2/3 bars inside, FTTC 10/ 0.9Mbps which was usable.