Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Using FTTC and 5G on the same home network  (Read 1465 times)

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
Using FTTC and 5G on the same home network
« on: November 24, 2020, 10:43:48 AM »

Is anyone using both FTTC and 5G on the same home network? What would be the best way to do so?

I would want one PC using 5G and the rest on FTTC but all computers must be able to network with each other.

Is it as simple as connecting the 5G hub and FTTC hub to the same network switch and connect all computers to that?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Using FTTC and 5G on the same home network
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »

What’s a hub? The answer to your question is certainly ‘no’. Think about it, how does each machine know where to send network traffic that is destined for the internet?

I am using 4G as a backup (failover) but I could bond it with DSL.

Only a really sophisticated router will do what you want and the configuration will be awkward. A domestic router will not be up to it. Could do it with my router and a fair bit of head-scratching.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 01:10:10 PM »

I believe I seen this option on asus routers, you can choose which ip adress from internal network using which connection to internet where more than one is available.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 02:35:01 PM »

FTTC gateway on 192.168.1.1
5G gateway on 192.168.1.254
Random pc told to use 192.168.1.254 as its gateway and will probably need a static ip
Only one DHCP server on network

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 02:38:13 PM »

Okay thanks for the replies guys.

I found a really good deal on Three 5G for £24 a month for 2 years but my current FTTC contract is still running.

So I would need to somehow find a way to use both Three's 5G router and current FTTC modem on my home network.

I think meritez's solution sounds like it would work since I only want one PC to use 5G and the rest can use FTTC but I still want all PCs on the same home network to be able to see each other and transfer files.

I really have no idea what I'm doing though as I've never done this before.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:43:41 PM by digitalnemesis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 03:46:42 PM »

I found a really good deal on Three 5G for £24 a month for 2 years but my current FTTC contract is still running.

Take a look on Topcash back, Three unlimited with £90 cashback, £17 a month,  before cashback.

PS What's your Three reception like?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:49:38 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 10:36:20 PM »

Meritez’s solution is good, I was thinking of the usual network where everything is administered by DHCP and forgot about the option of static config. Meritez’s solution as is however will never work for all your IPv6 traffic, which web browsers default to, so the majority of your traffic could be ignoring your setup. You would need to see if you could get static IPv6 config set up similarly.

Why don’t you just bond the two together? Because you’re not on all-you-can-eat 5G and it would guzzle 5G data allowance?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:45:32 PM by Weaver »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 02:56:54 AM »

If you only need it on one PC then physically having a different connection to both on that PC and just changing the LAN to a static IP on that PC, omitting the gateway, would probably be easiest.  (though don't get me started on how fiddly its getting to do this on Win10 where it doesn't like you omitting the gateway or DNS in the new IP configuration page)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:59:09 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 10:21:25 AM »

(though don't get me started on how fiddly its getting to do this on Win10 where it doesn't like you omitting the gateway or DNS in the new IP configuration page)

I've found the gateway ip missing recently even though I'd entered it  :wall:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D