Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zen for BB & Phone ?  (Read 4921 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Zen for BB & Phone ?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »

It wasn't a criticism, more a wishful thinking as last time I re-contracted they sent me a new router for free  ::)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 01:03:37 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2020, 10:16:10 AM »

Since migration from PN to Zen on 15/12 with the associated DLM reset, appear to be stepping back towards DS 3dB SNRM from the default 6dB as would be expected, DLM re-synch early hours on 17/12 and again today.

Have retained G.Inp DS re-tx low profile throughout until this mornings re-synch, has now changed to high.
Annoying, as the gain in DS data speed associated with the DS synch speed increase has been negated by the decrease in DS BRAS IP profile from re-tx low to high change.
As my DS ES rate has been zero and DS FEC error/hr daily rate running in the low hundreds since the DLM reset, lowest ever observed, can't really understand why G.Inp re-tx profile has changed to high.

Will wait until DLM reverts DS SNRM back to near 3dB and if G.Inp re-tx profile has not reverted to low will probably have to go through a modem DS speed clamping exercise again which eventually works all be it taking 14 days previously.

So far so good with Zen, everything has happened on schedule to date, latency has remained higher, approx. 22ms. with PN increased to approx.  30ms. with Zen, not an issue for me.
Obviously, they have no control over DLM action resulting from the ISP change DLM reset.   
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 11:18:41 AM »

What I would think is the final DLM re-synch in this series occured this morning as DS 3dB SNRM has been achieved again, has stepped down from 6dB in 1dB steps at 2 day intervals since DLM reset (ISP change) on 15/12.

Unfortunately DS G.Inp re-tx high profile remains, changed from low on one of the previous DLM re-synch steps after surviving the initial DLM reset on migration, will let the line fully stabilise now over Xmas period then implement modem DS speed cap which certainly has worked previously in attaining DS G.Inp re-tx low profile.

Latency has also virtually returned to previous ISP timing, probably the only variable factor associated with an ISP change in this case, other changes being a product of normal DLM action/reset on the same line/DSLAM with the same speed provision.

Obviously, still not in a position to express much of an opinion on Zen's services or support as yet as everything has occured completely to expectation and totally to schedule have had no reason to establish contact, so far so good.

Will see what Plusnet come up with on my "final" bill which is due on 28/12, from their admin systems performance over the last 2 years on my account will be very surprised if this is correct.     

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »

Apologies if this has turned into a monolog on my part and not so much an appraisal of Zen as an ISP but more of a blow by blow account of line recovery from an ISP change and the associated DLM reset, hopefully will still be of some interest to anyone who has or is contemplating going through a similar change process.

8 days after attaining DS SNRM of 3dB, DLM showed no signs of reverting DS G.Inp re-tx profile back to low even though all parameters that are "believed" to be possible factors, DS FEC ER, G.Inp LEFTRS & rtx_uc were all exibiting non existant or very low error rates, decided that DS modem speed clamping would be applied to encourage DLM action.

After 3 days of modem DS speed clamping (DS 32 Mbps on a normally 40 Mbps synch line), DLM reverted DS G.Inp re-tx back to low profile, much shorter time scale than previous a few months ago (took 14 days of applied clamp), likely due to the pre-clamp error rate being much lower (in particular DS FEC error rate) than with the previous exercise.

Have left the existing modem clamp active at the same speed, after a few days of stability will start to increase the clamp speed in steps back up to my line max synch speed, this procedure worked well for me last time and retained G.Inp re-tx low profile on the line without annoying DLM.

Regarding Zen, certainly no isses so far with no reason to make contact, everything just works!
No final bill from Plusnet as yet, passed my normal billing date of 28/12, no surprises there really going by previous performance.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 01:04:32 AM »

Its always interesting to see how different peoples lines recover from a DLM reset.  It helps keep the knowledge of how this works current.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 01:07:29 AM »

Apologies if this has turned into a monolog on my part . . .

No apologies are required.  :)

I am sure that many of us follow your updates, with interest.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 12:09:37 PM »

Thanks to both "senior" patrons for the endorsement, being suitably encouraged will continue the saga to the bitter end  :)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 03:42:09 PM »

No final bill from Plusnet as yet, passed my normal billing date of 28/12, no surprises there really going by previous performance.

I am also considering moving from Plusnet after billing issues each and every month. 

Any update on your final bill? 

This would be my worse fear - I end up continuing to pay Plusnet and endure their billing nightmare and having to pay my new ISP also.

Thanks

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 04:53:36 PM »

Plusnet are shocking for passing debts on to debt collection agencies.

They passed on my final £8 a month mobile bill to a 3rd party despite never billing me for it and the direct debit remaining active. This £8 jumped to around £30 if memory serves me correctly.
I had to call to correct this.

It's worth calling them and attempting to settle any final bill rather than waiting for them to invoice you or take the direct debit.

Their forums are full of similar stories.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 05:01:22 PM »

I am also considering moving from Plusnet after billing issues each and every month. 

Any update on your final bill? 

This would be my worse fear - I end up continuing to pay Plusnet and endure their billing nightmare and having to pay my new ISP also.

Thanks

Ironically enough, I just received notification of what I hope is my "final" PN bill this afternoon and I am in credit by £4 odd, that's even with an early termination fee of £5 odd applied, not actually received the refund as yet.
Of course, considering my experience with PN since their new billing system was introduced in late 2018, nothing would surprise me, I can only hope that this is in fact my last bill!

From my latter experience with PN late last year, I found that the best course of action was to raise a complaint, as it is no longer possible to raise a question on line, the chat line is never active, the telephone support is useless and the staff on the members forum ignore everything other than the most basic issues there is really no other choice, I'am surprised that avenue has not been closed down yet.

My advice would be, bite the bullet, if you are out of or near the end of contract, leave as soon as you can, with over 2 years of administrative issues which PN appear to be totally incapable of resolving there is no reason to believe that there will ever be any quick solutions to PN's problems.

I would also advise keeping "snapshots" of any open, unresolved or pending questions, have found these can be mysteriously closed out and even disappear completely, best to have a personal record in case it becomes necessary to involve OFCOM at some later stage.
I found all PN site access was barred on ISP migration day with the exception of billing access.
If your primary e-mail contact is your PN address, be sure to change this before migration day as PN e-mail is also closed down quickly and any future communication from PN regarding billing etc will be lost.

j0hn's cross post acknowledged.
More very good reasons to escape from PN sooner rather than later!   

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 11:54:44 AM »

Now back to max attainable DS synch speed, for my contract and line, while still retaining DS G.Inp re-tx low profile and a reasonably low DS FEC error rate which will hopefully ensure that re-tx low profile (higher DS BRAS IP profile) remains.

After convincing DLM to apply DS re-tx low profile by virtue of DS modem speed clamp, increased the clamp setting in two stages at 2 day intervals back to my contractural/line limit of 40 Mbps while ensuring that re-tx low profile was retained.
I am aware that leaving a 40 Mbps DS modem clamp applied appears to be a fruitless exercise on a 40 Mbps contracted service and I certainly can not offer any logical explanation for doing so, however, from past experience of a similar exercise with my previous ISP have found that this actually appears to decrease my DS FEC daily error rate which I still believe to be one of the factors in DLM's analysis of G.Inp re-tx profile selection.
My modem is running on a UPS so can be reasonably certain that the applied clamp will be retained until I have a need to remove or change the setting.

No interaction with Zen required to date, as per previous, everything just works. 

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 01:17:59 PM »

Everything nice and stable on the line, very happy with synch and data speeds which I believe to be the best achievable on my rather long line with DSL FTTC service.

Have actually received the promised DD refund from Plusnet as per what I very much hope is (and certainly should be) the final bill.

Received my first billing DD notification from Zen, for the first time in some 28 months a monthly bill from my ISP which is correct, totally understandable and does not contain any anomalies or surprises, definately a luxury I've not recently experienced.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 11:38:48 PM »

I seem to be lucky, the only anomaly I've had on my Plusnet line was a rogue charge for calling 123 and that happened on both my lines so I can only assume it was some incompetent engineer at the cabinet doing something they shouldn't be.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything