Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ordered My First Car Over The Internet.  (Read 868 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Ordered My First Car Over The Internet.
« on: December 02, 2020, 11:23:14 AM »

Ordered My First Car Over The Internet.

With my wife's car getting to the point where some major things need replacing, I decided to order her a New Mini Countryman Classic Diesel.
I normally configure a car on the cars firms website and then get quotes and then go to the chosen dealer to do the final buying and test drives etc.

This time had to act fast (Three days  >:( ) as found out any new orders for a Diesel Mini had to be in Before December 1st 2020 as they are stopping building them  :o .

Hopefully get it sometime in March and will be delivered to our house on a low loader, it will be left for four days just in-case it has any Covid on it.  :(

Got £3321 off  :) and put £500 deposit down, tried them with 'Freebees' extra's but would not give.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Ordered My First Car Over The Internet.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »

isn't buying a diesel these days the bad choice to make?
petrol now seems to be the choice for price and fuel economy (and much cleaner too meaning less VED).

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »

I have to agree with Chenks, petrols are usually cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain, and certainly less to go wrong, although not so much of an issue if you have a nice long warranty, and move it on when it expires. Obviously if the car is clocking up the mileage then it could work out cheaper in the long run, but for low mileage it really wants to be petrol or dare I say electric.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 01:51:21 PM »

I must say I agree that diesel is not the most climate friendly choice. I have had them in the past but as company cars doing very high mileage (200000 miles in 4 years  :o ), and while I'd like an electric right now the range is not enough so for me the only choice would be petrol or hybrid. I don't do a lot of miles these days but do a few long journeys each year for which the current electrics are not good enough.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 02:47:47 PM »

Nothing wrong with Diesels  :D.
With the modern diesel engines and Euro 6d regs with the DPF and the use of Urea makes them less polluting than petrol  ;) If driven right. !

With Electric cars there are just not enough fast charging points about for fully electric cars
and the battery range is poor.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »

Congrats on the purchase, I am suitably envious.

Who knows, timing might be just about right for your first drive being to a Covid vaccination centre, then onwards to unrestricted enjoyment of the open road. :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 03:55:09 PM »

Nothing wrong with Diesels  :D.
With the modern diesel engines and Euro 6d regs with the DPF and the use of Urea makes them less polluting than petrol  ;) If driven right. !

If you saw it from a mechanics point of view I'm sure you'd change your opinion, diesels have a lot of very expensive emission controls in place which often go wrong. EGR valves to clog up, DPF filters to block up especially if doing very low mileage short trips, ad blue systems to go wrong etc.

With Electric cars there are just not enough fast charging points about for fully electric cars
and the battery range is poor.

Agreed.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »

Congrats on the purchase, I am suitably envious.

Who knows, timing might be just about right for your first drive being to a Covid vaccination centre, then onwards to unrestricted enjoyment of the open road. :)
Thanks.
Not sure if I get much chance of driving it as it's mainly for my wife to use for work and shopping but a programed long run say once a month I might get the chance drive it and to blow the cr*p out of the DPF  :)
The Evoque is more my cup of tea between the two cars, my wife had a Mk1 Mini in the 1980's..

As my wife works in a 'Care Home' she will get a jab before me.  :o

If you saw it from a mechanics point of view I'm sure you'd change your opinion, diesels have a lot of very expensive emission controls in place which often go wrong. EGR valves to clog up, DPF filters to block up especially if doing very low mileage short trips, ad blue systems to go wrong etc.

Being Very mechanically minded I am fully aware of the problems with EGR (cleaned a few of them before or even blanked it off  ;) ), also as a JLR car owner I can see all the problems with DPF and engine oil dilution etc. on the older Evoque's,  and problems with Adblue (urea) crystallizing or freezing etc..

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 08:26:07 PM »

That's good, at least you've made an educated decision unlike a lot of people. Hope it all goes well for you and your wife :fingers:

We ordered a new Ducato van at work in the early part of the year, pre lockdown. Boss got an email last week saying it had just arrived in the UK so badly damaged that they needed to order a replacement - it will probably be over a year from original order date once the new one arrives from Italy or wherever they make them these days, it will then still need a box making and a fridge installing.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »

That's good, at least you've made an educated decision unlike a lot of people. Hope it all goes well for you and your wife :fingers:

Working most of my life in Electrical/mechanical Research, I do a lot of research of my own on all sorts of the problems associated with things that go wrong on cars before buying.
Maybe I'm over the top  :-\  like I regular look on the ODB2 data socket on the  Evoque  for things like the 'Differential pressure'  of  the  DPF  :-\ 

Re ..We ordered a new Ducato van. That's not good  :no:, Not fastened down well on the ship transporter.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 08:16:05 PM »

No idea what happened to the van, or whether it was damaged on the ship or in the docks.

You shouldn't have any issues with the Evoque yet, it's too young, give it another four years or so  ;)