Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Ordered FTTP but forsee a problem  (Read 6170 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Ordered FTTP but forsee a problem
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2020, 08:06:57 PM »

The odd thing is that the external fibre cable is black but where it emerges through the wall inside the house it is white. How does that happen?
The black outer sheath peels off to leave a white cable for internal sections. It peels very easily on the newer cables.

My engineer left me a small length.

https://ibb.co/hdFt3LL

He did it so quick you didn't notice  ::)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:11:28 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2020, 08:39:19 PM »

Delighted to hear that your FTTP installation is finally complete, top marks for perseverance on your part, enjoy

I posted earlier in this thread as my son had virtually identical circumstances to yours with his FTTP installation by OR and is also with BT, ironically, he also had his third attempt at installation today, unfortunately, not so lucky.

After the reported blocked duct arising from his second OR/KN Circet visit, this had never been addressed so it was no surprise that the KN Circet engineer who arrived this morning had not been advised of the blockage could not run the fibre !
He stated that KN would not get paid for the installatiuon unless completed and advised that he would try to get the "digging crew" to attend.

"Heavy" crew did turn up this afternoon and promptly located the smashed duct exactly where expected, neighbours drive at the crossing point of the very recently install gas main, luckily, this property is rental and vacant, currently being re-furbished for further rental.
Was quite surprised that they were prepared to dig without formal permission, they advised that as the estate does not have foot paths they are entitled to dig within a meter of property/road  boundries which was the case.

Current status, big hole, exposed, smashed cable duct, crew hope to return tomorrow to repair.
Still on FTTP but at least some movement at long last.

Edit: Typo correction.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:41:35 PM by tiffy »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2020, 09:21:47 PM »

The black outer sheath peels off to leave a white cable for internal sections. It peels very easily on the newer cables.

My engineer left me a small length.

https://ibb.co/hdFt3LL

He did it so quick you didn't notice  ::)

Ah, that explains that mystery. Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]