Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Community Fibre Project in Monkton, Kent.  (Read 1673 times)

SlimJ

Community Fibre Project in Monkton, Kent.
« on: October 28, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »

[This topic has been created by splitting the posts off from the Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs thread.]

Think yourself lucky it's on its way to you!!  :D

Slightly off topic but... As I live in Monkton, away from the main village I'm not likely to see any FTTP for the next few years at least, but as there are 10 addresses in my area all under 30Mbps I'm in the process of finding out if a Community Fibre Partnership is feasible and cost effective (should only require a cable run with no digging as ducts were cleared/repaired last year for fibre to run past us to another village, and CBTs - there's already joints in the right places that can probably be used!), so hoping the cost is reasonable*.

So far I have 5 addresses that are really keen to support and we should be able to access the £7k (per property) rural gigabit vouchers to cover the costs. Fingers crossed!

*Acol was quoted around £120k for 115 premises and that area is quite a complex mix of underground and overhead, with cables running from both Birchington and Manston (by Minster roundabouts).  Been a lot of digging just to get cables to Acol by the looks of things too! Amazed it was 'only' £120k!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:08:09 PM by SlimJ »

SlimJ

Re: Fibre First Rollout in Monkton
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 10:32:57 AM »

SlimJ, good luck on your CFP, keep us all updated on how you get on.

Good news at the moment.  It's going to be done as a 'Demand Led' project so less commitment required and less work for me!  It should cover around 58 addresses (up from my original 10 - covering a portion of the Western end of the village where cabling runs) and the costs are looking at around £45k.  Just awaiting final costs and design.  Hoping that the £7k per address for us on less than 30Mbps will generally cover most of the cost - the rest can claim up to £1500 for residential.  Have a keeping diary of progress here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/community-fibre-partnership-rural-kent-monkton-village-progress-diary.36691/

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »

That's good news, I didn't realise quite where you were until I saw your map. Hopefully all goes well.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 01:36:41 PM »

Mods - just wondering if it is worth splitting off the Monkton thing into its own topic which will make it easier to find as I'm sure it will be of interest to folks who maybe dont follow this thread.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

SlimJ

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 03:16:02 PM »

Mods - just wondering if it is worth splitting off the Monkton thing into its own topic which will make it easier to find as I'm sure it will be of interest to folks who maybe dont follow this thread.

Stuart

I'll create a separate thread for this if needed but I'll stick most updates over on ISPReview.  Apologies for the off tengentness! As you were...  ;D

Drove through parts of Northwood towards Newington today, looks like that area should be going live shortly.  Only time I venture this way at the moment is for shopping.  Good to see some more areas going live in Broadstairs, Ronski.