Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Registering.  (Read 7609 times)

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
Registering.
« on: November 17, 2020, 02:36:57 PM »

Its been a few years since i have been on the site and came across the forum when searching google, i tried to register as i forgot i was already registered and i noticed something that may stop people in their tracks,  the question goes  something like "What is the location  of the navigation key at the top of the forum" i am sure a lot of people especially the younger mobile phone generation who don't use forums regularly wouldn't have a clue what the question means so you may be losing members because of it, just a thought.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Registering.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 09:29:31 AM »

Thank you for the suggestion, and I'm sorry that you aren't getting a response. I'm unclear about where you encountered this question. I experimentally registered with a test ID, and there were no obscure questions to answer. Perhaps you could enlarge on the issue?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »

Just a thought - perhaps there is a difference if you try to register an already registered ID?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion Stuart, but if you try that, you get a message to say that the name is already in use by another member, and it won't let you proceed.
  Eric

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 03:28:26 PM »

If i try to register on the site I am challenged with a captcha and 3 anti spam questions.

Last night the questions were about the previous president beginning with o, something you wear on your wrist beginning with w, and what is this site about, beginning with b.

Today i get.
What location is on the first navigation tab above (Begins with h):
What colour is the site logo? (Begins with b):
What is the domain name of this site? (Begins with k):

i am sure a lot of people especially the younger mobile phone generation who don't use forums regularly wouldn't have a clue what the question means

I think you're doing youngsters a disservice.

I think youngsters with mobile phones are far more likely to know what a navigation tab is compared to many of the older generation.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 04:25:48 PM »

Thank you for the suggestion, and I'm sorry that you aren't getting a response. I'm unclear about where you encountered this question. I experimentally registered with a test ID, and there were no obscure questions to answer. Perhaps you could enlarge on the issue?

Thanks for answering,  it was one of the questions below it has changed now so i am not sure if it generates a random set of questions or someone has changed it.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:28:29 PM by maxheadroom »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 04:31:27 PM »

Thanks for that, John. I hadn't come across that question before. In any event I agree with you that, as stated, it's not too obscure, and I'm going to thank the OP for raising the point, and we'll leave it at that.
  Eric

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 04:35:14 PM »

I think you're doing youngsters a disservice.

I think youngsters with mobile phones are far more likely to know what a navigation tab is compared to many of the older generation.

As you have used an 0 instead of an o in your username i assume you are one of the younger generation i refer to.

I am not suggesting every young member may not know the answer but i am suggestion some may not (and not just young members)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:49:10 PM by maxheadroom »

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 04:45:40 PM »

I'm going to thank the OP for raising the point, and we'll leave it at that.

Thanks.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 09:17:14 PM »

The captcha may be a standard software component that is not completely customisable. I’d like to make the point that questions about colour should be avoided for the sake of colour-blind users and partially-sighted or blind users; this is a basic accessibility failure under WCAG unless there’s an audio alternative.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 10:35:16 PM »

. . . it has changed now so i am not sure if it generates a random set of questions . . .

Yes, a random selection from a "pool" of site-relevant  questions that Kitz created.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 10:38:57 PM »

I’d like to make the point that questions about colour should be avoided for the sake of colour-blind users and partially-sighted or blind users; this is a basic accessibility failure under WCAG unless there’s an audio alternative.

Looking at the example that maxh*m showed, above, there are options "Listen to the letters / Request another image".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 11:56:48 PM »

I was rather thinking about the question about colours of the site UI.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 04:46:47 AM »

Looking at the example that maxh*m showed, above, there are options "Listen to the letters / Request another image".

That's the thing though isn't it, if you have to pass ALL those things then it seems rather redundant to have the captcha disabled friendly when the questions aren't.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:46:44 AM »

As you have used an 0 instead of an o in your username i assume you are one of the younger generation i refer to.

I'll take that as a compliment I think?

I don't use a 0 in my username because I'm young and hip.
It's because my mother cursed my with 1 of the most common names you can get.

Unfortunately "John" is registered on almost every website known to man and I'm not all that imaginative.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything