Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: mangled screw  (Read 1121 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
mangled screw
« on: December 14, 2020, 01:19:57 PM »

attempting to troubleshoot a touchpad issue on the Dell XPS.
to do so you need to remove the battery, which is fine, until one of the 4 screws decides to commit suicide. my drive bit is obviously stronger than the screw as the screw is now mangled and no screw bit i've got will do anything to it.

any ideas how to get this troublesome screw out?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: mangled screw
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 01:25:49 PM »

If you've got a Dremel and steady hand you could very carefully cut a slot in it.

Or something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-bolt-extractor-set-2-pieces/2951v?_requestid=308755
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »

i thought about drilling, but the battery is right next to the screw, so would be very very wary about doing anything invasive next to it.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 04:09:14 PM »

I'd use something like this

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/impact-bits-other-accs/impact-bits-holders/damaged-screw-extractor-set

Drill with 1 end, flip the bit, extract the screw.
I would do the extracting by hand by putting the bit in a screwdriver, allowing good downward pressure and more control getting a bite on the screw.

Never tried that particular brand but i have a similar kit at home.

Failing that Ronski's suggestion of cutting a slot with a dremel and then using a flathead screwdriver would be my next attempt.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 04:53:03 PM »

Since the screw looks like it has a good sized head, you could try gluing (araldite)  a similar screw to it, upside down.  When set really hard, 24 hours at least, araldite has pretty good shear strength so a pair of pliers on the upside down screw might then turn it.  Degrease it first, for a good bond.

I don’t think I’ve ever tried that, it just looked like an option.    You’d need to be extremely careful to make sure the araldite does not squish out and spread between the screw and adjacent case, making matters much much worse....

You could also try aralditing an old screwdriver bit to what is left of the screw but that’s less likely to work, lever’s law working against you.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »

small Torx bit will cut down into hole... normally my tool of choice in trying times  :fingers: or use a triangular profile needle file one one side to cut a groove.

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 09:59:45 PM »

I would guess drill it out, its a bit small for an easy-out tool, which what I use for bigger screws

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 10:22:09 PM »

Easy :)  use a very sharp pointed 'center pop' and just gently tap it around the way you would un-screw it.

Done it on all sorts of size screws . :D

To use the screw again clean it up and then use a 'Junior Hacksaw' to cut a slot in the top to screw it back in.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 08:47:49 AM »

i think the concerns i have about "drilling it out" is that the battery being so close, and underneath the screw is the keyboard and then the screen.
so any reasonable force may end up damaging one or both. certainly any reasonable downward force might be too risky.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »

i think the concerns i have about "drilling it out" is that the battery being so close, and underneath the screw is the keyboard and then the screen.
so any reasonable force may end up damaging one or both. certainly any reasonable downward force might be too risky.

That’s why I suggested the araldite option...

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 10:17:41 AM »

You can get drill bits that drill in reverse, and hence undo the screw,  but if its into plastic it might get hot and melt it.

I did see a god tip by a computer repair shop recently for removing screws, but for the life of me can't remember what it was, and I no longer have the magazine.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 10:28:32 AM »

One tip I have seen is to use a flat elastic band and place over the screw head and then use the screw driver on top of it, the band if a suitable size should increase the grip. Should add that sometimes the finger from a latex glove works instead of an elastic band.

Stuart
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:05:30 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP