Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Long ethernet cable  (Read 879 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Long ethernet cable
« on: November 17, 2020, 03:36:42 AM »

I have a blackspot in my WLAN coverage and I’m wondering if parking an additional WAP in the right place would be feasible but the problem with it is the practical business of running ethernet cable to the right place downstairs. The blackspot is the large porch at the front of the house that contains a washing machine and a bathroom. When Janet is working in there with her iPhone, she then cannot hear by iMessage my cries for help if I have a burst of pain. I might already have an additional ZyXEL access point in my collection of general stuff.

I could do with practical how-to recommendations for running stiff ethernet cable through wooden and possibly stone walls.

I would also appreciate comments on how good or not Aruba WAPs are.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Long ethernet cable
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »

Not something that's easy to advise on, but basically you'd have to drill holes where required, and knowing how thick you're walls are means a powerful drill, and long suitable drill bits. The location for drilling will need to be checked for other cables and pipes. Probably best to get someone in, but given your health and the current situation probably best to wait.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »

I would also appreciate comments on how good or not Aruba WAPs are.

Aruba WAPs are fantastic, I regularly get outbid for them on Ebay.

Could the Zyxel be set as a wireless repeater to cover the blackhole, yes it would halve the bandwidth, but it might save running a cable for a while?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 02:30:47 PM »

I’m not sure it has a repeater mode in it in fact. It’s a high end small-medium business model which can be centrally managed in a group by dedicating one of the units as a controller, and it’s ten years old so only 802.11n (no 802.11ac or 802.11ax). Because of that market which they aimed it at, I suspect they didn’t include repeater function, but I could have missed it.

Five years ago I had a wireless point-to-point outdoor link to bridge the gap between two buildings, with one of a pair of TP-Link 5GHz WAPs in the facing windows of each building; the one in the house being connected to the main switch and the one in the window connected to one of the the same ZyXEL twin radio 2.4/5 GHz WAPs in the centre of the space in building two. I think I’ve somehow lost track of the TP-Links.

Andrews and Arnold my ISP supplies Aruba kit now so I’ll probably buy some from them at some point so I can get free support and can moan at them if there are any problems (‘the buck stops there’).