Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Andrews and Arnold congestion  (Read 1673 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Andrews and Arnold congestion
« on: November 15, 2020, 07:10:02 AM »

See https://aastatus.net/38175

INITIAL

2020-11-13; by Andrew
We've had some problems today with Apple related traffic causing some of our routers to get busy. This has affected some customers with some latency and packetloss to some destinations on the Internet. The problem is that the recent software updates from Apple are being downloaded via our 'transit' links instead of our 'peering' links.
The bulk of our traffic comes to us over our peering links where we have higher capacity connections in to exchange points such as LINX and LONAP. However, even though we have direct peering with Apple of these higher capacity links, today's Apple traffic is being set over our smaller transit links.

We have tried to balance the traffic across the transit links we have, but this hasn't been perfect. We've emailed Apple, requesting that they send traffic to us over the peering links but we've only had an automatic ticket confirmation reply so far.

RESOLUTION

2020-11-14; by Andrew
Traffic levels Friday evening were the highest we've ever seen, however the traffic was spread over multiple routers and were at levels that didn't impact our service negatively. We've had no word back from Apple about them using our peering links. We'll be looking at upgrading our transit capacity as a result of this so as to be able to cope better in the future.

We also understand that there was various reports in the media about Apple having problems yesterday and there were widely reported problems with update downloads failing. We're not sure is this is related to the reasons why Apple traffic was being set via transit instead of our direct peering with Apple though.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Andrews and Arnold congestion
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »

The new iPhone 12 Pro Max and 12 Mini were released on Friday 13th so I guess folks were busy updating to iOS 14.2. Unlike regular iOS updates where you actually have a choice of when to update, on the brand spanking new iphones you are now forced to update duriing setup/activation. I was forced to update to 14.2 on my iPhone 12 Mini on Friday, however both of my TalkTalk and BT FTTP lines were fine.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:18:58 AM by psychopomp1 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 07:56:42 AM »

I have forgotten, are you an AA user, psychopomp1?

I have had slow web browsing when a I fetch a page from clueless or amazon. Serves me right for killing the ‘premium’ ie traffic priority option last week.

I have automatic updates turned off on all my iOS machines and I update them by hand in the middle of the night every so often when it’s cheap and when I won’t be slowing my wife down who’s trying to work.

I’m surprised the new iPhone made a big difference? Have a lot of people been waiting for them?

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 08:05:24 AM »

No, I'm with TalkTalk. However its not unusual to see other CPs also affected if users start to download from Apple, Microsoft etc servers en-masse, simultaneously.

Yep, the new 12 series iPhones are quite popular and with each update to iOS 14.2 around 1 GB, I imagine that could put a lot of strain on ISPs and Apple servers.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 08:54:09 AM »

What about your BT line that you mentioned?

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 08:58:37 AM »

No issues on the BT line either.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 09:14:32 AM »

Sorry, I meant are you also a BT customer?

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »

Yes, a customer with BT as well. Don't think BT offer services to non customers  ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 09:40:01 AM »

I was confused because I am an AA customer and have a BTW line used by AA; AA use TTB lines too and BTW ones so I was thinking in AA-speak terms. So in a sense BT does supply services to non-BT customers, indirectly through ISPs through BTW and by virtue of its ownership of Openreach.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 09:45:18 AM »

Ah gotcha now  :)