Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Phasing out local/non-STD dialing  (Read 6657 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Phasing out local/non-STD dialing
« on: November 14, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »

We’re making a small change to the way you use Digital Voice – your home phone service – to call local numbers.

What are we changing?

From 11 December 2020 we’re changing the way Digital Voice works, so you’ll need to dial the full national number, including the dialling code, whenever you call any local numbers.

Why are we doing this?

There’s already a huge demand for more phone numbers, something that’s only going to grow as we become ever more connected. By freeing up numbers now, we’re helping everyone get ready for the exciting new world of digital phone services.

What do you need to do?

•   From 11 December 2020 dial the complete number, including the dialling code, every time you call someone, whether they’re next door or hundreds of miles away.
•   Remember to check that all of the numbers you’ve saved in your home phone include the full dialling code.

What happens if you forget to dial the whole number?

You’ll hear a message asking you to dial the full national number.

This change helps the whole country get ready for the switch to digital phone lines. And as a Digital Voice customer, you’re right there at the start. We appreciate it.

Was surprised to receive this..
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 05:08:21 PM by gt94sss2 »

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: Phasing out local/non-STD dialing
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 05:25:14 PM »

Who sent that?
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 05:28:27 PM »

BT

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 09:24:13 AM »

Seem kinda ironic when my VoIP provider lets me choose a local dialling code number for free so people can use the local number without the area code .... strange

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 12:05:18 PM »

I hope this doesn’t mean BT are doing away with the whole concept of local area codes under VoIP?

I find area codes extremely useful for at least two Further purposes, not just lazy dialling’.

1) I may be able commit a 6 digit number to memory for a short time.  For example, I see an advert that interests me in the village newsletter I can memorise the number, put down the paper, then pick up the phone and dial the number.   For longer numbers I’d need to refer back to the paper half way through dialling.

2) When I search to find a local tradesman, I generally favour one that lists a landline number with an area code that supports his claim to be ‘local’.

Interesting also that they seem to be referring to it all as a huge network switch to ‘digital’.   Local lines excepted, hasn’t the UK PSTN been almost entirely digital for several decades, since rollout of System X from 70s and early 80s?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 12:27:53 PM »

I'm guessing that the concept of the local dialing code was more to do with telephone exchanges, that they were easier to manage by assigning an area code to certain exchanges. Whereas, as far as I know digital voice is connected to FTTP? and from what I've seen FTTP doesn't rely on exchanges in the same way.

For dialing purposes I can remember my own local number. That wouldnt be an issue. But as SLM mentioned we're not going to be able to tell if someone else is local if they are assigned a random number, which is the implication of this change. That at some point if OR are allocating numbers in the future it wouldn't necessarily have the same local area code as me, even though we're in the same area. That could start to become confusing.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 12:46:27 PM »

Was surprised to receive this..

I presume that snippet was from BT Residential? because BT Business already require you to dial the full STD code for local numbers as well, always been that way since I took out their DV service back in Oct 2019. So they're just aligning both Residential and Business Digital Voices, I guess the next step is for BTR to also roll out a smartphone VOIP app like BTB have (Cloud Voice Express). This allows you to do stuff like make/receive VOIP calls from your smartphone, access voicemail, block numbers etc and works very well.

Also most - if not all - other VOIP providers have always required you to dial the full STD codes no matter where you're calling. So not a big deal IMHO.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »

I've worked for the same haulage/removals company for almost 30 years, and I'm certain that their signwriting on the removals trucks have advertised three different office numbers, across three different area codes since I started there. They've only ever had the one office though, so its nothing new for an area code not to reflect the actual location of where that number is based. However that's not the norm, but probably more common than we realise.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »

I've worked for the same haulage/removals company for almost 30 years, and I'm certain that their signwriting on the removals trucks have advertised three different office numbers, across three different area codes since I started there. They've only ever had the one office though, so its nothing new for an area code not to reflect the actual location of where that number is based. However that's not the norm, but probably more common than we realise.

Landline Area code is not the only parameter I look at when assessing a tradesperson, it may sometimes be outdated and wrong.   It may even be deliberately spoofed.   But for small independent firms, majority of the time it will be accurate, hence making it a useful tool, to be used alongside other factors.

When you search for trades and services these days, with a town name in the search, a lot of websites seem to recover the search term and dynamically construct a web page claiming to be local to the town you searched for.  It would be quite hard for them to also generate a functional landline number with area code corresponding to that town, so I often use area code as a quick way of filtering out such irritants.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 03:24:25 PM »

Yes I've often noticed the town name spoofed into searches, most annoying.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 06:46:10 PM »

Also most - if not all - other VOIP providers have always required you to dial the full STD codes no matter where you're calling. So not a big deal IMHO.

I could very well be a big deal for some elderly people though once they are forced off their copper lines.

I wonder how many people still actually dial their phone vs having everything saved in an address book?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »

I could very well be a big deal for some elderly people though once they are forced off their copper lines.

I wonder how many people still actually dial their phone vs having everything saved in an address book?

Those who find it too difficult to dial the full number will have frequently dialled numbers saved as contacts in the address book - done by a family member or friend if necessary. Also, by the time everyone is forced off copper and onto VOIP, smartphone voip apps such as BT's Cloud Voice Express will be the norm and you probably won't even need to press any buttons; simply ask Siri to dial the number for you  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 09:13:39 PM »

Those who find it too difficult to dial the full number will have frequently dialled numbers saved as contacts in the address book - done by a family member or friend if necessary. Also, by the time everyone is forced off copper and onto VOIP, smartphone voip apps such as BT's Cloud Voice Express will be the norm and you probably won't even need to press any buttons; simply ask Siri to dial the number for you  :)

I think that's a huge assumption.  There are plenty of people who don't have family members to help so rely on things as they are.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 09:55:37 PM »

Just a note, please, can we keep it polite and mutually respectful?

Speaking of people who ‘find it too difficult to dial the full number’ might well be offensive to those who do not find it the least bit difficult, but who feel there are other advantages, beyond overcoming ‘excessive difficulty’.   :)

Examples have already been posted, earlier in thread.   Such as the fact most people can mentally ‘copy & paste’ a six digit number from a newspaper advert to a phone dial or keypad.  But few can do the same with a full national number.   Using the full number requires harping back to the paper advert for second set of digits, it is not ‘difficult’, it’s just rather irritating and a step backwards in telephony technology.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 11:32:44 PM »

I haven't heard any great fuss from the places where this has been implemented several years ago due to shortage of available numbers.

https://www.area-codes.org.uk/more/areas-without-local-dialling.php
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything