Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help adding a switch to 2-LAN port Sky Hub  (Read 768 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Help adding a switch to 2-LAN port Sky Hub
« on: November 14, 2020, 01:12:18 PM »

Hi everyone

my dad is on Sky Broadband, his router is one of those crap Now TV Sky Hub things with just 2 LAN ports, these are being used and he wishes to run a long 10m ethernet cable to his new 55" LG TV in the next room, as the house is built with stone and wifi is absolute garbish on LGs to start with, he even had wifi issues before and bought an extender which didnt help much at all.

- all the mobiles are 2.4Ghz the only exception is the new TV, which on the poor unreliable speedtest you can get on LG APPS said he was getting between 8-18Mbps (over wifi) when hes getting the full 36Mbps to the router (speedtest through LAN'd PC) and wants to start streaming 4K (20Mbps needed at least), so advised to LAN in like me but even on high end machines like my LG OLED B8 its only a 100Mbps LAN and that sometimes struggles with high bandwidth 4K from my PC - heavily compressed 4K for streaming is perfectly fine though, netflix's 4K is only 15Mbps..

so i advised him to buy a switch so that one LAN port can turn into 4, but he says does he neeed MANAGED or UNMANAGED and as ive never dealt with swicthes before i thought i would ask the experts on here what he should do.

Im guessing its to do with DHCP and IP assignment

can anyone help with this please?

thanks

off-topic: Ive already had him seperate the 2.4 and 5.0 networks as seperate ones so he can be 100% sure what he's connected to on wifi
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Help adding a switch to 2-LAN port Sky Hub
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »

An unmanaged switch would be cheaper and you don’t need a managed one (ie one that has a load of settings to fiddle about with). Just get any low cost small switch and plug it in and no config is required.

Might want to run cable under flat cable bridges to prevent you tripping over the ethernet cable or damaging it.

If your wireless lan is still rubbish anyway, then you could consider buying a separate high quality wireless access point (WAP), turning off existing wireless on the wireless router, plugging the WAP into your switch and then park the WAP in a better position for widespread coverage.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 01:22:15 PM by Weaver »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 03:12:52 PM »

An unmanaged switch would be cheaper and you don’t need a managed one (ie one that has a load of settings to fiddle about with). Just get any low cost small switch and plug it in and no config is required.

Might want to run cable under flat cable bridges to prevent you tripping over the ethernet cable or damaging it.

If your wireless lan is still rubbish anyway, then you could consider buying a separate high quality wireless access point (WAP), turning off existing wireless on the wireless router, plugging the WAP into your switch and then park the WAP in a better position for widespread coverage.

thanks, he should have had MESH WiFi in that houe as each room is stone built and even with extenders had issues...but they are managing that, it just for the SWITCH advice only and thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 05:40:38 PM »

- all the mobiles are 2.4Ghz the only exception is the new TV, which on the poor unreliable speedtest you can get on LG APPS said he was getting between 8-18Mbps (over wifi) when hes getting the full 36Mbps to the router (speedtest through LAN'd PC) and wants to start streaming 4K (20Mbps needed at least), so advised to LAN in like me but even on high end machines like my LG OLED B8 its only a 100Mbps LAN and that sometimes struggles with high bandwidth 4K from my PC - heavily compressed 4K for streaming is perfectly fine though, netflix's 4K is only 15Mbps..

Its not the LAN that causes the struggling, its the video decoders in the TV that aren't designed for high bitrates.  That's why I ended up with a ShieldTV as its the ONLY device I can consistently stream 4K Bluray rips with.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything