Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Update On Our Village FTTP Install.  (Read 2110 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Update On Our Village FTTP Install.
« on: November 12, 2020, 08:40:04 PM »

Back in May we had BT Openreach chaps checking the ducts and roping in our village ready for FTTP, about a month later we had contractors from Birmingham putting in the fibre in the ducts and also using pole to pole strung fibre with CBT's on poles and in manholes, last week my wife told me there where 3 BT vans around the corner so I put my mask on and went to see what they were doing.

They told me they had just put in the last fibre to another remote farm a few miles outside the village and were connecting it up to the 'Splitter node' that was in one of the manholes that joined to the 'local Node' in the next manhole a few metre's away that is connected to some spare 'Dark' fibre that was installed about 6 years ago when FTTC was put into the village, the 'Head end' is about 12 miles away in the next city.

They also told me the contractors had only half done there job as for weeks there has been CBT's and rolls of fibre hanging off poles on fences that they should have put in and the BT Openreach chaps have had to sort the mess out.

Next week after them doing more more tidying loose ends up they are going to 'Light the fibre up' and start testing and if I am about they will show me what they are doing. :)

Been waiting 20 years so not long now and I can get a proper modern FTTP internet connection :)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 08:00:54 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Some praise for BTOR.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 08:51:07 PM »

Who are BTOR?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 08:57:03 PM »

Who are BTOR?
BT Openreach ... Now changed
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 08:02:36 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 09:00:06 PM »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »

@Liquorice Don't be so pathetically pedantic. :P

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 09:56:49 PM »

There's me thinking that accuracy is important, but clearly not. :P

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 11:36:32 PM »

There's me thinking that accuracy is important, but clearly not. :P

‘Accurately’ speaking,  my understanding is that the organisation known as Openreach is a wholly owned part of a company known as BT.

There are various commercial constraints on the manner in which Openreach may operate, but they remain a part of BT.

For that reason (unless of course above is wrong) I personally would encourage use of terms such as ‘BTOR’, to describe Openreach. It avoids perpetuating the myth that “Openreach is not BT”, because it is.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 01:32:42 AM »

I took a quick look on the Companies House website and found records for BT Group plc (Company number 04190816) & Openreach Ltd (Company number 10690039).

Perhaps scrutiny of those records would prove fruitful?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 06:03:17 AM »

Looking at Companies House, I got distracted by a company named Openreach Ltd, which existed between 2014 and 2016.   Company Officers names seemed familiar.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/08921585/officers

???

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »

Do you call Screwfix Kingfisher Screwfix or just Screwfix or do you call it B&Q

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »

Do you call Screwfix Kingfisher Screwfix or just Screwfix or do you call it B&Q

I’m lazy, I just call it Screwfix.  But I’d understand, and approve, of anybody who referred to it as Kingfisher Screwfix, Kingfisher B&Q etc.  In fact, I might try and get into the habit.   ::)

Openreach are legally a different company from BT, but as with other companies they must declare all persons with significant control.   Openreach list just one such person, named as “British Telecommunications plc”, who have rights including that to appoint and remove Openreach directors.

Same applies to B&Q, naming two different Kingfisher Company names as Persons With Significant Control, although they appear to be slightly more distanced... no mention of Kingfisher having power to appoint & dismiss B&Q directors.

Don’t really know much about Screwfix structure, is it just a trading name, rather than separate company?

Openreach...
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10690039/persons-with-significant-control

B&Q..
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00973387/persons-with-significant-control

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:24:08 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 10:23:31 AM »

Oh dear, hasn't this thread gone off on a totally different tangent from that intended by Tickmike.  :(
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 04:18:21 PM »

Ha ha ..... I was looking forward to a good read about a positive OR experience. I've put mi' popcorn back on the shelf for next time ... in the eternal hope there will be a next time.  ;) ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 05:19:01 PM »

Oh dear, hasn't this thread gone off on a totally different tangent from that intended by Tickmike.  :(
+1

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 05:20:02 PM »

;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 08:06:35 PM by tickmike »
Pages: [1] 2