Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Play around with MoCA  (Read 983 times)

hushcoden

• Reg Member
Play around with MoCA
« on: November 07, 2020, 09:11:07 AM »

I'd like to know if anyone has got any experience at all with MoCA adapters: I have a TV socket outlet in almost every room and I'm thinking to give it a try.

I'm not very familiar with MoCA and any suggestion is much appreciated, i.e. must I use a 2-way splitter or it's kinda optional?

Tia.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 04:40:20 PM by hushcoden »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Play around with MoCA
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 03:54:23 PM »

I had to research the technology as it is completely new to me. After reading the "Multimedia over Coax Alliance" wikipedia page, I ended up looking at "Best MoCA Adapters of 2020 - Complete Round-up".

I does appear that an adapter is necessary (if the co-axial cabling is active, i.e. carrying TV signals) and from the latter link (above) the "best budget option" is deemed to be the ZyXEL MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Single Adapter.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 04:29:38 PM »

Glad I’m perhaps not the only one who thought “What’s Moca”. :blush:

Looking into it, it does have some appeal.

My own biggest reservation, at first glance, would be that it requires power at the conversion point. 

ZyXel’s spec sheet says 5 Watts  max consumption, see

https://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_services/hla4205/specifications

Now, if I were to install one in each of four rooms, that would be 20W.   If I need more at the far end, to connect each coax to an ethernet switch, it becomes 40W.    As a very very rough estimate with modern energy prices in the UK, for stuff that’s permanently connected, you can equate “Instantaneous Watts” to “£ per year”.  So very very roughly, over a 10 year period, you might be something like £400 poorer.

The equation is not that simple of course, as some of that £400 would be saved from home heating bills, as the devices would contribute to home heating, but that’s hard to quantify.  And ZyXel’s ‘5W’ might be pessimistic.   But unless that can be proven then personally, if I were planning to live at the address for 10 years or so, I’d try very hard to see if my £400 can be better spent installing appropriate twisted copper ethernet links...

Edit:  I originally suggested total might be 80W, or £80 pa.   Truth is of course my figures were flawed, not as bad, amended to 40W, £40 pa, or £400 over ten years.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 04:54:24 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 05:49:00 PM »

Glad I’m perhaps not the only one who thought “What’s Moca”. :blush:

I thought it was coffee  :lol: :lol: :lol:

anything