Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Moving a telephone line around the side of the house  (Read 2249 times)

MABEL

• Just arrived
Moving a telephone line around the side of the house
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:27:09 PM »

Hi
I was pointed to this forum by a member on the Plusnet forum who said there would likely be someone here who could help.
I think my query is quite basic having looked at some of the other postings!!

My phone line runs from a telephone pole through a hole above my front door and winds its way around the left side of the lounge. ( the wire is long old and caked in years of paint!)

I wanted to know if it could be moved around the side of the house externally and in through a more convenient position near the master socket?. I believe I cant actually move the master socket myself. Is this also correct??

Thanks in advance
Mabel

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Moving a telephone line around the side of the house
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 05:47:02 PM »

Your ISP can arrange this for you, through OpenReach.

You need to ask for something like a "move/shift of entry point" or "shift of nte".
It costs around £160'ish i believe though happy for someone else to be more accurate on that.

Technically you aren't meant to touch anything before the master socket or the socket itself.

I don't find it an issue personally and I'm happy to move my own master socket, but i don't recommending messing with the external drop cable and entry point.
I would leave that to the engineer.

If you're paying to have the entry point changed then moving the master socket would be part of that and shouldn't be an additional cost.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Moving a telephone line around the side of the house
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:36:53 PM »

I had one done by BT, and it cost about £120 pounds but £180 sounds about right as that was a long, long time ago, something like 17 years. It was called "change point of entry" and it was an enormously good investment. Thoroughly recommended.