Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Neighbours Slow Fttc much slower than mine  (Read 1968 times)

tomtom

Neighbours Slow Fttc much slower than mine
« on: November 03, 2020, 02:29:31 PM »

Hi, my neighbours fttc is much lower speeds than mine.

He only gets 20-23mbit down and 0.4 - 0.55 upstream. From what I can see in modem stats its 6.5-7.5db snr. He is on talk talk using included router so I cant see anymore line stats. I know it is broadcom chipset same as my modem. Also when I do speedtests it seems to be quite laggy and only gets 12-14.5mbit.

He has the latest nte5c faceplate with mk4 filter.

I get 27 - 28mbit down and 1.09-1.35 up. and my speedtest is 25.7mbit.

The telephone wire splits 500m down the road and goes on different poles to mine. His line length is 50-75m longer. Would that cause the upload to be halved? Could it be interference or tree rubbing on lines?

I have uploaded screen shots of talk talk modem stats, talk talk speed test.

It Would be good to improve upload as otherwise adsl2 works better.

Thanks for any help

tomtom

Re: Neighbours Slow Fttc much slower than mine
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »

For comparison this is my line stats

50-70m shorter cable length

bt cable is same up to 400m away and then it goes to different poles (mine goes through a field - his follows the road and there are no houses inbetween but a few tree branches are touching the line.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 03:42:17 PM »

With the very basic stats available it's very difficult to express an opinion on comparative line performance.

I assume you are both on 40/10 packages ?

50-70m shorter cable length

The DS attenuation figures would appear to indicate the opposite.
Your neighbour's stats, DS Attenuation, 23.2 dB.
Your stats, DS Total Attenuation, 27.9 dB.
(Might be a router anomaly, yours expressed as "Total Attenuation" more normally expressed as "DS Attenuation")
However, can't assume that the line routing is "logical" this is often not the case, your line could be longer or indeed either line could have a fault present.

As a comparative guidance, my relatively low noise VDSL-2 line DS attenuation is 26.2 dB. and synch's at just under 40 Mbps DS and 5.2 Mbps US.

If you can obtain more detailed stats from either or both routers than a more informed opinion on the performance of the lines can be made.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »

This is not at all unusual.  I have two lines which take the exact same path and one line syncs 10Mbit less than the other.  This is likely the result of that line running closer to other peoples broadband lines than the other one.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:30:58 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 09:19:28 AM »

I have two lines into the same room in my house using the same parallel modems and hardware - there is a significant difference between them, I put it down to variation in line quality, connections and I guess potentially connections and equipment variation :

So I guess some variation is normal?

J

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 10:56:51 AM »

If you've ever seen inside a PCP, I wouldn't be surprised if variations sometimes occur from how they happened to jumper the line in there, plus if they were careful to maintain the twists in the jumper cable.

It becomes a bit haphazard when they have to re-route a line to the tie pair to the second cabinet then jumper back again to the exchange side.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tomtom

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »

Yes I guess it could be crosstalk. there is a farm 450m further down using the same bt cable.

It is 40/10 package. I am with plusnet and he is with talk talk but has had problems with the line in the past, needed a lift and shift.

I have uploaded some of my line stats

Neighbours line is now syncing at 18.995mbit down and 0.604mbit up

tomtom

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »

more line stats

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 03:14:19 PM »

is there any difference in sync if the master socket faceplate is removed and plugged straight into the test socket?

tomtom

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 03:41:16 PM »

Hi, no it doesn't seem to make any difference.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »

From the DSLStats snapshots provided which I'am assuming is your line from the DS synch speed listed on the graphs:

From your original post line stats, DS attenuation indicated 31.1 dB, certainly quite a long line.
The DSLStats snapshots provided would indicate that this is correct and your current DS synch of 27.96 Mbps is probably as good as it gets on your line, D2 bit loading is very low, D2 tone range on QLN graph is quite noisy.

Your US synch speed is very poor for the contracted package of 40/10 at 1.2 Mbps, U1 band bit loading is very low, U1 tone range on QLN graph is noisy.

My opinion, a long line showing the expected VDSL-2 characteristic of performance droop at higher frequencies, as per any other VDSL line, very likely being effected by cross talk from other users on the same fibre cabinet.
Probably not a lot you would be able to do to improve the line performance and from my 10 year patronage with Plusnet I would be very surprised if you could get them interested.

As for your neighbours TT VDSL-2 line, ideally would need some stats similar to the DSLStats provided for your line to evaluate.
All I can suggest is to temporarily replace your neighbours modem/router with a suitable Broadcom chip device and perhaps run a RPi on this with DSLStats, I did exactly this for my neighbour who is also with TT and was having line issues, set up with VNC the stats can be monitored remotely.

Still think that your neighbours line is shorter than yours as his DS attenuation indicates 25.4 dB, this being correct, in theory, should perform better than yours on a similar modem, however, as other forum members have said, every line is unique with respect to DSL performance.   
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

tomtom

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 09:12:09 PM »

I have an update  :no:

Managed to link up a zyxel vmg8924-b10a with dslstats on neighbours line.

Here are some graphs

I can see a lot of spikes on hloq and virtually all us1 is missing. Also upstream has decreased to 0.4mbit

Brickmortar

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 04:56:44 PM »

Can you get a pic up of the stats page showing the DSLAM type / SW wersion?

tomtom

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 06:08:32 PM »

Can you get a pic up of the stats page showing the DSLAM type / SW wersion?

sure, neighbours line:

Brickmortar

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 06:40:22 PM »

Pretty much as i expected its the same as mine, there is something wrong with that firmware and it seems to kill uploads on longer lines, not very helpful just was a suspicion.
Pages: [1] 2

anything