Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A dormant company ISP  (Read 1438 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
A dormant company ISP
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:51:23 PM »

Looking around at some 'smaller' isp's, I have noticed some in there company accounts at .gov.co.uk are A dormant company :hmm:  but they are still trading. !

Should I keep away from these company's as they could go bust. ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: A dormant company ISP
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 11:13:28 PM »

Dormant isn’t bust. Likely they are trading in a different style, rather than under their company. Or they haven’t submitted their confirmation statement
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »

Have they got a valid OFCOM RID?
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering

Reseller identification codes (RIDs) are a type of code that Ofcom allocates to communications providers (CPs) for administrative purposes. They are three-character alphabetic codes which are used in the Notification of Transfer (NoT) switching process and can be used it identify a reseller of wholesale services.

It's updated every Wednesday, direct link to the file is http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/RID.xlsx

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 11:32:30 AM »

Big groups, say like national public transport e.g. Go Ahead, often have dormant cos of legacy brands.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 05:07:22 PM »

Some companies have sub-companies that only exist on paper, set up when they thought they might use such a sub-company in the future but then plans changed and it never happened, or the other way round, a reorganisation after which the company isn’t needed so becomes ‘dormant’. Dormant is exactly what it says, just sleeping, no activity, and as said earlier, the use of the term doesn’t mean anyone has gone bust or is dodgy.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 09:07:21 PM »

The two I have spotted (business ISP's) are still trading with a £1 profit and the other a £2 profit, seems odd to me.
One looked tempting to go with but it's made me think again.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 09:51:34 PM »

I don't think I'd touch them.  About 10+ years ago there were quite a few small niche ISPs, but the majority have fallen by the wayside. If they are dormant they are hardly likely to have much of a network even if they are resellers.    They shouldn't be trading if they are dormant as they've classified themselves as having no other assets nor income other than the declared £1/£2. 
Check carefully that the company name exactly matches -  Weaver has already mentioned sub companies where the name may have been bought for future use... or is the webpage actually current and actively live.     

Whilst it doesn't mean they have gone bust, I still wouldn't touch them.  There is supposed to be better protection for the EU these days, but I guess the horrendous experiences when ISPs have gone bust in the past and difficulties getting your line migrated to another ISP is still too fresh in my mind.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 10:48:25 PM »

A little snooping of Companies House Beta of the Directors' other appointments can be revealing too of a dormant company's links in very complex group structures.