Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm very confused  (Read 2168 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: I'm very confused
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 01:58:01 PM »

PCP53 is definitely in that location, no two-ways about it  ;) .... it's whether your own house location is around there, as to whether you're fed from it or not ??  :)

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »

PCP53 is definitely in that location, no two-ways about it  ;) .... it's whether your own house location is around there, as to whether you're fed from it or not ??  :)

Surely I have to be, there are no other PCP's (that i've seen) in my area. I do live in that area.

Off topic but why does Yodel take so long to deliver a parcel? I find other couriers way faster (even Royal mail  :lol: )

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 03:29:13 PM »

Also how did you manage to get yourself moved over to a Huawei cabinet?

Either order a 2nd line which should come from the Huawei, then cancel the 1st line.

Alternatively you need to downgrade to ADSL, then upgrade to VDSL to get your current pair moved.

When you cancel your VDSL, OpenReach leave the line jumpered to the ECI cabinet so that they can remotely reactivate you if you order VDSL again (back on the ECI).
Ordering ADSL ensures the line is physically disconnected from the ECI cabinet.

The 2nd line route is the easiest, but isn't a 100% guarantee to be connected to the Huawei cabinet.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 03:43:58 PM »

Surely I have to be, there are no other PCP's (that i've seen) in my area. I do live in that area.

Off topic but why does Yodel take so long to deliver a parcel? I find other couriers way faster (even Royal mail  :lol: )

Since when do Yodel deliver, is that something new?

If there are 256 ports in the ECI Cabinet and only 64 in the Huawei pod, that's a 1 in 5 chance of being connected to the Huawei pod if you have a new line installed or do what @j0hn advised.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »

It could be that either another "fibre" cabinet has been installed or a side-pod has been attached to the PCP. As you know its location, how about going for a nice short walk and taking a picture of what is currently in situ?

What can I say other than yes, that is the Wallsend Telephone Exchange!

Here is the image of my ECI Cabinet and PCP.

https://ibb.co/WfnrB1Q

It looks like the pod is attached to the PCP?

If there are 256 ports in the ECI Cabinet and only 64 in the Huawei pod, that's a 1 in 5 chance of being connected to the Huawei pod if you have a new line installed or do what @j0hn advised.

To my surprise it looks like they're coming today! 17 stops away  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »

Those odds are just a little off. That's assuming there are 256 free ports in the ECI and 64 free ports in the Huawei.
Neither is true.

The Huawei pod has been installed because the ECI is full or near to full.

If both cabinets have free ports the OpenReach allocation system will favour the Huawei.

The chances are any new line will be on the Huawei.

There are a few examples in this forum of users swapping between Vendors.
I've yet to see a failed attempt at a swap.

A 2nd cabinet or a VDSL Sidepod is only installed if capacity requires it, meaning the chances are it will be on the Huawei DSLAM.

I detailed the process well and was specifically about what won't result in a cabinet change.

I also did caveat my post with
but isn't a 100% guarantee to be connected to the Huawei cabinet.

The 1 in 5 chance suggestion is actually quite absurd and is ignorant to the capacities and processes involved.

It helps if you know the ECI was on a waiting around the time the Sidepod was added.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 05:18:54 PM by j0hn »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »

It looks like the pod is attached to the PCP?

That's always the case. It keeps the tie pair distance down.

The ECI's can't be expanded.

Huawei cabinets can have small extensions added to them but the pods are always on the PCP.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 04:12:35 PM »

That's always the case. It keeps the tie pair distance down.

The ECI's can't be expanded.

Huawei cabinets can have small extensions added to them but the pods are always on the PCP.

I see, interesting. I wonder if that was the maintenance that Zen had listed for my line on their status page a few months back?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 04:46:14 PM »

Very unlikely.
It doesn't involve any downtime on the existing DSLAM or any lines on the PCP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »

I wonder if that was the maintenance that Zen had listed for my line on their status page a few months back?

I would doubt it . . . unless Zen were being ultra-careful and wanted to cover their back, in case of a contractor's blunder.

Looking at the composite image, below left, we see the original cast-iron PCP still in-situ, back in July 2012. It would have been given a new pressed steel shell, prior to the installation of the ECI DSLAM in October 2012. Fast-forward eight years, below right, and there we see all of the currently deployed plant.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 05:55:21 PM »

So thats what that tree used to look like before they cut it down... Shame it looked like a nice tree.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything