Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm very confused  (Read 2167 times)

sof006

• Reg Member
I'm very confused
« on: October 29, 2020, 11:12:09 PM »

???

So... My cabinet is cabinet 53 (according to codelookup) and also BT's own checker. So that I know for sure. However, according to codelookup I am 1,962m away from my cabinet (yes?) but... I am fairly 99% sure that my cabinet (labelled 53) is quite literally a 10 second walk from my house (depending if I walk fast or not  :P ).

Samknows also believes my exchange (cabinet) whatever its called, believes its also the same distance and gives me a postcode for its location NE288RA, which fun fact is where a grandparent of mine used to live. However I do not see any cabinets around that area on Google Maps (although images might be very out of date). BUT... I do find this?

https://ibb.co/ykL5rMf

Am I somehow (highly doubting this) connected to that building? Laughing at asking this question as I am under the impression that a line is ALWAYS connected to a exchange/cabinet/PCP before going anywhere else. If so, where the hell is my cabinet? I can't find it (other than the location I believe it to be).

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: I'm very confused
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 11:57:47 PM »

Codelook lists an estimated distance to the exchange, not to the cabinet.
The cabinet is a green box nearby.
The exchange is a physical building where your copper line terminates.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 11:59:12 PM »

Codelook lists an estimated distance to the exchange, not to the cabinet.

I see, so does that mean because I am so close to my cabinet that explains why I get 71Mb or is it a little more complicated than that?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 12:01:58 AM »

I see, so does that mean because I am so close to my cabinet that explains why I get 71Mb or is it a little more complicated than that?

Yes, simple as that. The further away the slower the sync speed.
A number of things (quality of cable, external noise, number of local lines taking a service) can affect the connection speed but distance to the cabinet is the main thing.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 12:09:04 AM »

NE28 8TT      Ryedale      Wallsend, Tyne and Wear      1,962m      ADSL      ADSL2+      FTTC Available from 18th October 2012, expanded 14th March 2020      100% area up to 30MB    P53 100% area

The above line tells me that the central point of the NE28 8TT postcode, which corresponds to a public highway named Ryedale (Wallsend district, Tyne and Wear), is approximately 1,962 metres from the serving telephony exchange. It also tells me that for FTTC (VDSL2 based) services, cabinet "P53" serves 100% of the NE28 8TT postcode area.

It does not tell me the location of cabinet "P53", the Primary Cross-connection Point (PCP) numbered 53 and its associated "fibre cabinet".

Cabinet P53      FTTC Available from 18th October 2012, expanded 14th March 2020      Phase 8b 2012      373      ECI      NE28 8SL

From the above line I see that the "fibre cabinet", associated with PCP 53, is equipped with ECI electronics.  :yuck:  (An ECI Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41 MSAN configured as a DSLAM.)

And whilst I was researching and typing the above, I see that j0hn has already explained the situation.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 12:12:26 AM »

The above line tells me that the central point of the NE28 8TT postcode, which corresponds to a public highway named Ryedale (Wallsend district, Tyne and Wear), is approximately 1,962 metres from the serving telephony exchange. It also tells me that for FTTC (VDSL2 based) services, cabinet "P53" serves 100% of the NE28 8TT postcode area.

It does not tell me the location of cabinet "P53", the Primary Cross-connection Point (PCP) numbered 53 and its associated "fibre cabinet".

From the above line I see that the "fibre cabinet", associated with PCP 53, is equipped with ECI electronics.  :yuck:  (An ECI Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41 MSAN configured as a DSLAM.)

And whilst I was researching and typing the above, I see that j0hn has already explained the situation.

Yes unfortunately I am well aware I am on an ECI cabinet... Its not fantastic however i've not had too many issues. I'd say i'm reasonably lucky considering my speed is in the 70Mb area. Unlike my friend who only gets 20Mb on the other side of Newcastle  :'(

EDIT: I have just noticed "expanded 14th March 2020" does that mean they've attached a pod?

Yes, simple as that. The further away the slower the sync speed.
A number of things (quality of cable, external noise, number of local lines taking a service) can affect the connection speed but distance to the cabinet is the main thing.

Interesting, I always thought it was the exchange that had the impact. Learn something new everyday. Could the image i've post be my exchange? I'm casting doubt before any responses come lol
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:16:46 AM by sof006 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 12:29:40 AM »

The two cabinets at either end of the exchange building in David Street are worth examining but, unfortunately, the resolution of images from Google's Street View car are not that good.  :(
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:42:31 AM by burakkucat »

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 12:32:27 AM »

I could make an excuse to take a trip to Wallsend Forum which i'd happen to walk past David Street on the way and have a look out of curiosity.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 12:53:17 AM »

EDIT: I have just noticed "expanded 14th March 2020" does that mean they've attached a pod?

It could be that either another "fibre" cabinet has been installed or a side-pod has been attached to the PCP. As you know its location, how about going for a nice short walk and taking a picture of what is currently in situ?

Could the image i've post be my exchange? I'm casting doubt before any responses come lol

What can I say other than yes, that is the Wallsend Telephone Exchange!

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 12:56:21 AM »

It could be that either another "fibre" cabinet has been installed or a side-pod has been attached to the PCP. As you know its location, how about going for a nice short walk and taking a picture of what is currently in situ?

What can I say other than yes, that is the Wallsend Telephone Exchange!

I'll take a look tomorrow when I take the dog for a walk ;) and thats crazy, I did not even realise for such a long time. It only just crossed my mind that it could be.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 06:17:25 AM »

Interesting, I always thought it was the exchange that had the impact. Learn something new everyday.

That is the case for ADSL, as that's where the signal originates from, for VDSL the signal starts at thr cabinet in the street, travels back to the PCP and then to the property.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »

That usually means a whole new 2nd fibre cabinet was built.
If it was it would be a Huawei.

This happened on my cabinet and i made a deliberate and successful attempt to have my line moved to the Huawei cabinet.

The pods show as VDSL Sidepod on codelook. They are also Huawei.
This is the exact same as having a 2nd cabinet build, just much quicker to deploy in a pod.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 12:04:19 PM »

That usually means a whole new 2nd fibre cabinet was built.
If it was it would be a Huawei.

This happened on my cabinet and i made a deliberate and successful attempt to have my line moved to the Huawei cabinet.

The pods show as VDSL Sidepod on codelook. They are also Huawei.
This is the exact same as having a 2nd cabinet build, just much quicker to deploy in a pod.

Would this cabinet be located next to my current one? Also how did you manage to get yourself moved over to a Huawei cabinet?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 01:06:32 PM »

To add to the wealth of info already provided .... if you are indeed fed via PCP53 ... then it is located outside No.1 Wiltshire Drive.

The original DSLAM was an ECI - 256 port affair, but there has been a VDSL Huwaei side-pod - 64-port upgrade, done.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 01:09:36 PM »

To add to the wealth of info already provided .... if you are indeed fed via PCP53 ... then it is located outside No.1 Wiltshire Drive.

The original DSLAM was an ECI - 256 port affair, but there has been a VDSL Huwaei side-pod - 64-port upgrade, done.

It sounds correct, the location is roughly around that area. I'm waiting for a parcel, once it arrives I'll go take a look
Pages: [1] 2