Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vigor 130 - Recommend a replacement?  (Read 4285 times)

sof006

• Reg Member
Re: Vigor 130 - Recommend a replacement?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 07:10:12 PM »

Sorry I am posting a lot but I discovered this on BT shop
https://shop.bt.com/products/draytek-vigor-2762-series-adsl-vdsl-router-non-wireless-v2762-k-DJ6Q.html?refs=50729

Thoughts? Uses the PXB4369EL chipset (Lantiq/Intel) according to https://uktechhub.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BTW-List-of-Approved-Modem-CPE-v-21.pdf

Also how do I know how "long" my phone line is, or rather how far away I am from my exchange. I know I am connected to Cabinet 53 which is a 10 second walk from my house. I am assuming that its cabinet 53 as it has the numbers 53 printed on the side. However Samknows seems to suggest I am 1.97km away?  ???

EDIT: I've came to the conclusion (maybe) that Samknows is incredibly wrong, my line syncs at 71Mbs and this website https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance suggests that my line would be roughly 0.2-0.3km long. The reason why I am asking all this is because i've heard that broadcom does better on longer lines (or so i've read on this forum). This might suggest or hint at why broadcom doesn't appear to give me any benefits or can make things worse?

I apologise I am just spit-balling here and putting all my thoughts down here so someone can hopefully answer them lol
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 07:36:09 PM by sof006 »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 07:48:09 AM »

With you being so close to your cabinet I doubt whether a Broadcom or Lantiq based modem will make much difference. Just stay away from Mediatek as they are rubbish. If you want good stats then Broadcom is easier than Lantiq generally.
The TG799VN you have should have decent stats available, and I think will likely work with DSL Stats too. You will need to refit that heatsink though.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 05:17:32 PM »

Completely forgot to update this. I ordered a Vigor 2762 yesterday, arrived about an hour ago. Just finished setting it up, i'm actually getting a ever so slightly higher sync (nothing to shout home about).

My question is now, how do I maintain access to the web GUI of the Vigor when its connected to a Unifi Dream Machine?

Again probably a stupid question but is it as simple as just plug in another ethernet cable into a spare ethernet port on the back of the Dream Machine and another on the back of the Vigor and I can see it? I'm guessing its not that simple lol

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 11:36:53 PM »

Completely forgot to update this. I ordered a Vigor 2762 yesterday, arrived about an hour ago. Just finished setting it up, i'm actually getting a ever so slightly higher sync (nothing to shout home about).

My question is now, how do I maintain access to the web GUI of the Vigor when its connected to a Unifi Dream Machine?

Have you got the 2762 in bridge mode? Have you dedicated a lan port for the pass through?

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 12:00:51 AM »

Have you got the 2762 in bridge mode? Have you dedicated a lan port for the pass through?

It is in bridge mode yes, and what do you mean by dedicated a lan port?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 02:38:03 AM »

Regarding the Dream Machine, our kitizen CarlT had one; maybe some help with config there. I configured my Firebrick router to do this, with much help from others here.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 09:30:11 AM »

Regarding the Dream Machine, our kitizen CarlT had one; maybe some help with config there. I configured my Firebrick router to do this, with much help from others here.

I'll take a look in the next few days, these next few days are busy for me. Thanks for the link, might have a neb if I get some spare time in-between lol

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2020, 08:10:26 PM »

Quick update on the Vigor 2762. I haven't had a chance to look at that thread yet to figure out how to gain access to web GUI through UDM. Mostly posting to say the connection has been stable (as I expected), the speed has remained stable at this slightly higher speed and also my ping has reduced from 18ms down to 13ms. Quite impressed with the new modem.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »

It is in bridge mode yes, and what do you mean by dedicated a lan port?

If you leave 3 of the ports in a LAN bridge, and dedicate one as the bridge port, you could set the 2762 to the same subnet as the UDM, and access it as if it was on your LAN.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »

If you leave 3 of the ports in a LAN bridge, and dedicate one as the bridge port, you could set the 2762 to the same subnet as the UDM, and access it as if it was on your LAN.

I've tried what you have suggested but I think I am doing something wrong. Whenever I try this the UDM stops allowing me to log in and my internet stops working. Normally occurs after changing the subnet to match that of the Vigor.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2020, 04:10:19 PM »

I've tried what you have suggested but I think I am doing something wrong. Whenever I try this the UDM stops allowing me to log in and my internet stops working. Normally occurs after changing the subnet to match that of the Vigor.

Found the kitz article with diagrams: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »

Found the kitz article with diagrams: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm
That's one of the good things of the Zyxel, that is it allows you to create interface groups and to segregate WAN traffic from LAN traffic, which means you can have only one port for the Internet traffic: I'm afraid the Draytek doesn't support those options...

Not sure if it can helps, but have you explored the 'route policy' options ?
Pages: 1 [2]