Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MK3 master socket, advice needed  (Read 2861 times)

Artifice

• Just arrived
MK3 master socket, advice needed
« on: November 05, 2020, 12:20:41 PM »

Hello,

I have an MK3 BT master socket for VDSL which was installed 6 years ago by BT openreach and recently the lower faceplate has become faulty. When i took the lower faceplate off there is a blue pair connected. I know this is where the phone extensions are connected, but i don’t have any phone extensions active, the BT engineer probably thought i did. The only socket i use is the master socket.

The house was built 20 years ago and before i moved in, the garage was an office showroom for people to view the house and the office had a separate phone line. The old socket is still in the garage but inactive.

Could someone please explain what all the extra wiring in my master socket is? I assume this is the remnants of the second phone and I can just remove the blue pair and leave them disconnected and replace the faceplate, but I am not sure. The cable is very tight as you can see from the photos.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:38:26 PM by Artifice »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: MK3 master socket, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 03:40:17 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

I can see that you actually have an NTE5/A and a Mk 3 SSFP installed.

Unfortunately the details of the wiring is not that clear, as you have taken those close-up photographs through the opening in the SSFP. If you look closely, you will see that there is a slot in the bottom edge of the SSFP which would allow it to be completely removed.

I believe there is more than one cable and some gel-crimps in the backing box behind the NTE5. So exactly how everything is connected together is currently a mystery.

With the lower front face-plate removed, you should find that your connection to the Internet should still be operational if you connect the modem/router to the top socket of the SSFP, as normal. Likewise, if you connect a telephone to the socket at the right of the SSFP, exposed with the lower fron face-plate removed, your telephony connection should still be operational.

That said, I believe your plan of action is sensible and should work. But I can't be absolutely sure . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Artifice

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »

Hello burakkucat,

Thank you for your reply.

I replaced the lower faceplate, disconnected the extra wires and everything still works.

I took more pictures with the NTE5 off and you are correct there is more than one cable, the external cable and the white extension cable with jelly crimps.

I have always had interference and DSL errors with my line, but BT have never looked at the wiring and always said everything is working fine.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:41:15 PM by Artifice »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 04:37:09 PM »

I'm pleased to know that everything is working correctly following the replacement of the lower front face-plate.

If there are no extension sockets anywhere within your home, then they only deduction that can be made is that the white sheathed cable would be the feed to the socket in the garage. Possibly it extended the second pair from the black cable (the service lead-in) to the garage, when the garage was used as the sales/marketing office for the development.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.