Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Pole Carvings  (Read 3725 times)

dontasciime

BT Pole Carvings
« on: October 26, 2020, 06:19:50 PM »

Does anyone know what these carvings mean / refer to     M Metres or Months

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: BT Pole Carvings
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 07:09:11 PM »

Its a 13metre pole

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:11:51 PM »

Yup, 13mtr pole .... the year it was 'made' was 2020 .... and the bit underneath isn't '21' .... it is 2 I, which is the depot it was made and the species.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:22:52 PM »

I was searching back though the forum for a particular topic and, once I had found it, I intended to suggest reading it, starting from this post . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »

I was searching back though the forum for a particular topic and, once I had found it, I intended to suggest reading it, starting from this post . . .

I don't know who that 'razpag' is commenting in that post, but he knows his stuff with poles !! Bet he's incerdibly handsome as well ??!!  ;) ;D

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 09:40:09 PM »

And the line between BT and 13M is the doby mark. It is 3 m from the bottom of the pole and allows the buried depth to be assessed.

dontasciime

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 09:36:18 AM »

Thanks all :lol

Just wanted to make sure they were not going to setup some teepees.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 10:10:02 AM »

And the line between BT and 13M is the doby mark. It is 3 m from the bottom of the pole and allows the buried depth to be assessed.

Indeed .... that line marker should be at 1.2mtrs above ground .... ergo 1.8mtrs below ground.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 02:39:02 PM »

Fascinating stuff.

A while ago I was being driven along a semi rural road near me.  I noticed a BT pole that had snapped clean in two.   On the way home I looked more closely and every pole for about a mile looked very wonky, with one or two hanging on by just shreds of timber.   There hadn’t been any storms so it interested me they’d all failed at more or less the same time.

I suspect these poles will have been fixed by now.  But thanks to this thread, if I see such a sight again, I’ll be able to park the car then go and identify depot of manufacture, species, planting dates and planting depths.  Not sure why I’d want to know these things, but always of value to the curious mind. :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 04:29:36 PM »

Ha ha ..... there's nowt wrong with curiosity and a thirst for knowledge, 7LM.  ;)

You'd be surprised what can actually pass an official 'pole test' ... some of them look like they're leaning quite badly to the naked eye, but they are still deemed to be safe. Conversely, a good number of years ago it was found that a certain batch of poles from a certain distributor were decaying inside far quicker than they should, as such, any poles thereafter with that particular manufacturer/species code were deemed un-climbable. To look at them they looked fine, which is why the official pole testers have a resistograph to check the density of the pole above ground and they use good old-fashioned digging techniques, to check a minor-arc proportion of the pole beneath ground.

As always though, H&S is the remit of the individual engineer and it could be a brand new pole placed in the ground the day before, if the engineer decides it isn't safe to climb that is his judgement call to make. Along with checking the pole markings and test-date cycle, they will perform their own 'hammer check' at various levels tapping firmly around the pole listening to any evidence of a change of pitch, it's hard to explain but you get experienced in what sounds ok and what doesn't. Add to that a probe test that also checks for damp/weak areas .... there's not much more they can do.

Can I also mention .... once you are up there, it looks a lot higher when you're looking down !! Plus, working in all weathers (apart from when there's lightning, or severe gales) adds another dimension to it. Up a stick is not ideal when it's cold, wet and windy.  ;D 

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 04:55:49 PM »

Its all right for you youngsters these days, bet you've never had to climb a pole through a nest of 40lb copper wires with ringing current tingling through your ears!!  :) :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 05:07:10 PM »

. . . a nest of 40lb copper wires with ringing current tingling through your ears!!

I knew there was a reason for you wearing a leather flying helmet!  :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 05:37:11 PM »

Its all right for you youngsters these days, bet you've never had to climb a pole through a nest of 40lb copper wires with ringing current tingling through your ears!!  :) :)

Ha ha .... thankfully not .... having been the recipient of hundreds of ringing current zaps, whilst drenched at the top of a pole ... I can but sympathise with you.  ;D ;D 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »

I suspect that the DACS units were one member of the "evil high voltage club" and the early attempt at extending all digital connections to the end-users, the BT HomeHighway / BT BusinessHighway were the others.  :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 06:06:14 PM »

I suspect that the DACS units were one member of the "evil high voltage club" and the early attempt at extending all digital connections to the end-users, the BT HomeHighway / BT BusinessHighway were the others.  :-\

Hell .... I'd forgotten about them evil sods !!! 140v them damned DACS .... 90v were the highways/ISDN.  :'(
Pages: [1] 2