Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Router SNR -1db and still holding up :o  (Read 26098 times)

supercooper

Re: Router SNR -1db and still holding up :o
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 05:13:24 PM »

hi Guys,

Ok the Engineer attended site and look high and low for any electrical devices that could possible cause this problem.  He noticed that the router was sat right next to an electrical DP, so the router has been moved into another room and re terminted to the line.  He did not use an NTE2000 because he forgot it :( ah well.

He replaced the router for a draytek vigor 2800 so i can monitor it using routerstats and also replaced the filter.

Tonight i will leave routerstats running in the hope i will walk in seeing a nice straight line :)

So far here is the current RS graph (Attached)

Thanks, Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »

Cheers for the update!! Graph is looking good so far.. fingers crossed eh!
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 09:06:07 PM »

Thats looking pretty good.
However time will tell as iirc the noise occured during working hours..  moving it away from the DP may do the trick - I suppose it depends on what was plugged in...  heres hoping :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

supercooper

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 10:07:58 AM »

Hi Guys,

Well it is interesting to see that the graph is nothing like what it used to be :)

I have spotted one dropout last night at 00:45, apart from that nothing at all.

The SNRM stepps at around 2db as a maximum looking right through the trace from last night, the dropout does concern me somewhat though :(

I'm leaving this running for today i'm crossing my fingers and toes now :P

Thanks, Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 08:35:23 PM »

Chris,  Is this the same line that Ive just responded to in another thread.. or is it a different line?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

supercooper

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 10:34:06 AM »

Hi Kitz,

I deal with many broadband faults, so yes this is differant that my other posts.

This site is still ongoing and is really starting to annoy me  >:(

BT went back to site last week and blamed the connection on our router even though this is now the 3rd Router we have sent to this site.  The current router is a Draytek so i can monitor the SNR which appears ok, it just drops frequently :(

My next step to keep BT happy is to replace the Router for a differant kind once  more, i'm going for a Linksys this time.   BT told me i should buy a Home hub haha (See the below comment)

"Awaiting External Response to Cust-Pend. Reason: BT notes have stated that the customer requires a new BT Home Hub please confirm with your customer that they are aware of this as they may need to phone BT directly. Thank you."

Current stats
SNRM: 15.5db
Loop Att: 43.0

I cannot post error rates yet as the connection has only just re-connected as i am posting, DAM!!! :(

Here is a lost of the connection History on this site (See Attached)

will keep you all posted once the router is again replaced. 

Thanks, Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 06:28:19 PM »

From the last couple of graphs it seemed to look okish - the SNR fluctuations were well within normal parameters.
Not sure what the drop out at 00.45 was though, because it appeared to recover quite well. 
That sort of behaviour is more like random noise spike such as the flick of something being switched on rather than constant REIN as previous.

>> BT told me i should buy a Home hub haha

No comment :-X - have you not mentioned that youve already tried a couple of different routers on this line?

-----

supercooper

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »

Hi,

I sent a good Engineer to site to check everything on site for a possible RIEN issue.  He found the Router was placed close to a elecitrical DP and moved it away.  Nothing else on site appeared to be a problem, i think the customers was a little confuesd to why he was switching everything off and on while he was watching the router stats trace  :lol:

Yes i have informed them that we have tried a differant router, but it seems to fall on deff ears sometimes :/

Once we have been i will post the new line stats.  It would be great if someone can tell me if Router stats works with a Linksys AG241 V2.  It has already been sent to site and has been setup for remote admin.

Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 11:29:25 AM »

>> It would be great if someone can tell me if Router stats works with a Linksys AG241 V2

Dont know Im afraid..  its often a case of installing it and seeing if it can pick up the settings or not. 
Ive managed to get it working with most of the routers Ive tried, some just take a bit more perserverence than others :/
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 11:32:24 AM »

Routerstats Lite works with the AG241 V2 according to its website which probably means that the full version of Routerstats can be got to work with it with some manual setting up.
  Eric

supercooper

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 02:58:22 PM »

Hi All,

We have now placed the Linksys on this site, i dont have anything to report as yet as it has only just come online.

Here are the stats:
DSL Status:   Up     
      DSL Modulation Mode:   GDMT     
      DSL Path Mode:   INTERLEAVED     
      Downstream Rate:   4416 Kbps     
      Upstream Rate:   448 Kbps     
      Downstream Margin:   13 db     
      Upstream Margin:   24 db     
      Downstream Line Attenuation:   46     
      Upstream Line Attenuation:   29     
      Downstream Transmit Power:   0     
      Upstream Transmit Power:   0

Now its time to monitor, i will re post on Monday with any happenings.

Thanks, Chris

supercooper

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 04:21:48 PM »

Hi,

The connection has not dropped at the moment but RouterStats does not look right to me.

I have posted a picture.

By the way my Engineer reported that the speed tests he conducted on this was very slow at around 1/2Meg, not sure why to be honest the connection looks good to me at a glance.

Thanks, Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »

The stats you posted look quite normal to me. Those big dips in the noise margin on the Routerstats graph are probably just Routerstats glitches. I think that what happens is that, sometimes, Routerstats fails to receive a sample from the router, so it records a value of zero. I see the same effect here from time to time. If it was a dropped connection it would take longer to recover.
  Eric

IDH

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »

Hi,
I have seen lots of those dips on 'router stats'. After much investigating over several days and uninstalling / reinstalling of software I found out that it was after my Anti Virus had downloaded signatures. The drop outs happened at the moment the signatures were actually installed into the AV database. Was using a security software with a Kaspersky engine. Since uninstalling it I havn't seen the drops at all.

Ian

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »

If you suspect a power set up of causing REIN try rotating it by 90 degrees. sometimes the REIN can be polarised, by rotating the source you may send the interference in a different direction so curing the problem (although there is a chance of making it worse by doing this but at least it means you can definately pinpoint a source)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything