Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Openreach local work  (Read 4677 times)

jimmyca69

Re: Openreach local work
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 12:04:13 PM »

Aggregation nodes aren't visible. They are kept in underground chambers.
Aggregation nodes aren't put in place for an FTTP rollout. They are already there and were put in place for the FTTC rollout and already provided the fibre for these cabinets.
The only real exception to this is very rural areas with no FTTC or areas that have grown considerably since the FTTC rollout and an additional Agg Node is required. They are never put in cabinets though.

Any cabinet next to your local cabinet will be a fibre cabinet, or won't be an OpenReach cabinet at all.

Sorry what I meant was that the FTTC cab here has a fibre cab next to it already, I had thought the fibre cabs had aggregation nodes in but obviously not.

My comment was whether in a standard FTTP rollout that they would normally cable back to the fibre cab and then utilise existing fibre connection back to the head-end exchange. Seems to make sense as a normal process but obviously lots of dependant factors for each setup.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »

As I understand it, several cabinets can use the same aggregation node, thus there are less of them than cabinets and nobody outside Openreach knows where they are.  It means the node could be closer or much much further away than your cabinet.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 07:21:06 PM »

As I understand it, several cabinets can use the same aggregation node, thus there are less of them than cabinets and nobody outside Openreach knows where they are.  It means the node could be closer or much much further away than your cabinet.

True.

jimmyca69

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 11:55:35 AM »

Just to rub it in a friend who lives about 50 yards from me got a letter yesterday to say FTTP available there now.

They are on different post code (SA31 3GR as opposed to my SA31 3GH) but on the same new estate  :'(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »

Your mate is on a completely different splitter to yourself, even though he's just around the corner. Strangely, FTTP was customer released at the beginning of July to his splitter node, so not sure what the hold up has been from the ISP's sending letters out ??

Your own splitter has come out of survey stage, and I can see what we call an 'In life change' having been input recently, which indicates things are moving along.

Your AGG is indeed next to your Cab9.

jimmyca69

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »

Your mate is on a completely different splitter to yourself, even though he's just around the corner. Strangely, FTTP was customer released at the beginning of July to his splitter node, so not sure what the hold up has been from the ISP's sending letters out ??

Your own splitter has come out of survey stage, and I can see what we call an 'In life change' having been input recently, which indicates things are moving along.

Your AGG is indeed next to your Cab9.

Thanks for this! great to have such info so thanks for taking time to provide it, much appreciated.

My mate might be winding me up then! or another postal run?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 11:14:07 AM »

Thanks for this! great to have such info so thanks for taking time to provide it, much appreciated.

My mate might be winding me up then! or another postal run?

FTTP has been live on my new build since June/July and I'm yet to receive a single letter from any ISP about full fibre being available.

He might have just received his 1st mailshot and only just noticed it was available.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jimmyca69

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 05:20:49 PM »

Just an update on this, I today received the holy grail FTTP leaflet containing the immortal phrase "Great news! We've upgraded the broadband network in your street, and you can now order a faster, more reliable and future-proof 'Full Fibre' service".

However, in the seconds it took me to check it doesn't appear as available. That might be 'yet' but I also worry that the OR guy posting these may have been a bit premature for my street with the street next to me FTTP enabled and about 10m away via a path connecting the pavements...

jimmyca69

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »

Further update on this for all those on the edge of their seats... OR are actually back in my street today.

Having walked past on school run earlier they are seemingly connecting fibre cables to what looks like an old school CD changer! with stacked white disc holders.

So seems flyer was premature but there is progress.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »

That will be the Splitter Node.

jimmyca69

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 05:31:11 PM »

That will be the Splitter Node.

Thanks John

OR were there most of the day working on the manifold with access to the splitter node. They were back there first thing as saw them again on school run, they then did visit the manifold nearest my house and were connecting something black up it seemed. They were only in there for 15 mins though and then left.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 06:28:30 PM »

they then did visit the manifold nearest my house and were connecting something black up it seemed. They were only in there for 15 mins though and then left.

One of these perhaps?

jimmyca69

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 10:39:19 PM »

One of these perhaps?

Yes could well have been, it was not on the support like that raised up but seemed similar from what I could see. What is it?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 10:47:30 PM »

What is it?

A connecterised block terminal (CBT).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jimmyca69

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 11:32:37 PM »

Thanks  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything