Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Higher ping on Zen (possible modem issues?)  (Read 1146 times)

Sonac

Higher ping on Zen (possible modem issues?)
« on: December 05, 2020, 02:21:20 PM »

Hi there, several months ago I switched from BT (because of p00 service) to Zen. I've been very happy with them so far, much better ISP.

However, I couldn't help but notice the increase in ping. Speeds are the same but I went from getting 8ms with BT up to 12ms with Zen. I also have been getting several dropouts a day.

I have been using a vmg1312-b10a (same as I used with BT). About 10 minutes go I switched back to my hg612 and now I am at 8ms ping again which points to a modem issue. No clue if the dropouts are fixed, only time will tell. But so far it seems the hg612 is working way better. Booting up faster and less clunky interface are also benefits. Speed doesn't seem quite as good as with the vmg though.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be the case?
ISP:
BT Unlimited Superfast Fibre 2 - 78/18 [50/15 actual]
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 - 64/15 [50/15 actual]
DSLAM: Huawei 288
Modem: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A HG612 (BT NTE5C + MK4 Plate)
Router: Ubiquity Edgerouter X

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Higher ping on Zen (possible modem issues?)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 03:22:49 PM »

Need to be extremely careful about the effects of disconnecting and reconnecting a modem and those of DLM. You can even find that you get a supposed ‘result’ when you plug back in the very same modem. See https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15905.msg307641.html#msg307641

aim not saying that you didn’t have a real result, but you would have to test very carefully as above to make sure that it isn’t bogus. Also do a fake test, one where no modem changes, to see if what is being seen is ‘real’. I have had many problems relating to this.

Sonac

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 03:46:39 PM »

Yea thanks, I know all about DLM. Just to clarify, I haven't turned off or unplugged the old modem for months manually. Only time its gone off is due to power cuts. I don't touch the modem if I don't have to.

Currently have no interleaving applied so all good. I find the entire process of waiting 30 mins unnecessary for my cabinet though luckily, just turned off the old modem with the switch to allow the dying gasp to go out and then swapped it over.

So far the hg612 has remained consistently better. I have never got less than 10ms of ping using the VMG. Not even after powercuts when the modem resets. Although powercuts are nice because I reconnect before everyone else and get about 10mbps higher for 24 hours until the cabinet boots me off for having under 1snr ;)

I'm going to let it settle for another couple days before I say for sure the modem was the issue.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 03:52:12 PM by Sonac »
ISP:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 05:47:34 AM »

I hear what you say about the dying gasp. Our leader, Kitz herself once said (and I may have misremembered this, so apologies Lesley) tha she didn’t believe that BT supported the rx of the dying gasp. I am surprised at this, and I take it that you and I both appreciate the value of it. Anyway, I try to keep an open mind on the issue and I’m prepared to be disappointed.

Are you using the VMG 1312-B10A as a modem-router or just a straight modem ? (I do the latter)

What does your modem / router report for the interleave parameter? ie the D parameter

Sonac

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 02:03:41 PM »

I hear what you say about the dying gasp. Our leader, Kitz herself once said (and I may have misremembered this, so apologies Lesley) tha she didn’t believe that BT supported the rx of the dying gasp. I am surprised at this, and I take it that you and I both appreciate the value of it. Anyway, I try to keep an open mind on the issue and I’m prepared to be disappointed.

Are you using the VMG 1312-B10A as a modem-router or just a straight modem ? (I do the latter)

What does your modem / router report for the interleave parameter? ie the D parameter

Modem only. I use Ubiquity Edgerouter X for my router. Currently have over 1 day of uptime on the HG612. I was lucky to get 7 hours without a resync with the VMG 1312. Which is strange since when I was on BT the VMG was totally stable.
ISP:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 04:25:56 PM »

That’s really weird as I have one, used as a modem-only, so do several other people. Burrakucat has one used as a router iirc. I find it excellent on my extremely long line. But I am only ADSL2 syncing at 3.1/0.55 Mbps

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »

What kind of service are you using ADSL2+ or VDSL2/FTTC ? If VDSL2 do you have G.vector available? What speeds do you get and what SNRM are you at? If you are getting so many resyncs then you need to increase the SNRM. The increased ping time suggests to me that the modems are using interleave to try and cope with noise spikes.

I can recommend our own johnson’s custom firmware for its superb diagnostic abilities. See https://github.com/johnson442/custom-zyxel-firmware/releases

Are you able to post all of your stats ? - might be a lot easier with the firmware above.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 09:29:20 AM »

You could try doing a tracert to something like 8.8.8.8 or Google.com to see how long the route your line takes. It could be that you're on Zens own backhaul which does add a bit more latency over the BT one. I noticed when I moved to Zen my ping went from 10ms to 13ms. Honestly apple's and oranges... You'd never see the difference.

Sonac

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »

What kind of service are you using ADSL2+ or VDSL2/FTTC ? If VDSL2 do you have G.vector available? What speeds do you get and what SNRM are you at? If you are getting so many resyncs then you need to increase the SNRM. The increased ping time suggests to me that the modems are using interleave to try and cope with noise spikes.

I can recommend our own johnson’s custom firmware for its superb diagnostic abilities. See https://github.com/johnson442/custom-zyxel-firmware/releases

Are you able to post all of your stats ? - might be a lot easier with the firmware above.

I was already using the custom firmware on the vmg1312-b10a. I wanted the jumbo packets or whatever they are called.

Attached is a screenshot of my stats from the HG612 since I don't want to switch back to the VMG and upset DLM.

I am on VDSL2 Profile 17a. Sync speed was definitely a bit faster on the vmg1312-b10a. I think I used to sync at 63k rather than 57k downstream. But ping is certainly better on this HG612.

ISP:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »

That is indeed what they are called. ‘Baby jumbos’ - jumbo packets are anything larger than 1500 bytes, usually 9000 or perhaps even 10000 (not sure), 9000-ish is common. Packets that are say 1500-1600 bytes are called baby jumbos. Wireless LANs can support larger packets, over 2k, 2304 bytes I think.

I’m wondering if the ZyXEL increased the interleave depth to get more speed while still maintaining reliability, and you don’t want interleave because of the the delay time. So perhaps forcing it to go slower by increasing the SNRM using the broadcom/zyxel tweaking CLI commands, and I can’t remember what the command is; Burakkucat told me and I have forgotten. He gave me the equation to convert the command argument into a difference in SNRM. It’s not a great solution because it doesn’t persist, but I think you could make it persist using johnson technology.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:32:13 AM by Weaver »

anything