Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: will INP be off at this range>  (Read 1119 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
will INP be off at this range>
« on: October 23, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »

my sis has moved and signed up with...ORIGIN BROADBAND  :lol:  -(also believing she hasn't got line rental and refuses to pay for it lol)

anyway in the default crappy ASUS she had an instant fault.

Max rate 79, current rate 39 and speed 1-5mbps over LAN

called to be told it was perfectly fine...I  told them I have 15 years experience in the field and worked at PC world and Sky so know quite a bit of what im talking about - no offence and waited 50 minutes and was passed to the next experienced person (number 4) who said there's a battery contact and will be resolved within 48 hours - she said yesterday it was off completely so i assume they were trying to fix it then, but, not her nor her kids have told me if its fixed or not n its been 3 days -

so... while there I also i found out she is connected to an ECI cab and the ASUS is Infineon, the CAB is in the street behind hers direct opposite the home (yet her router says G.INP in turn ON)=?? thought they didnt duport G.INP?)

anyway in this respect, after its fixed, 10-14 days later do you think its possible DLM will turn off errror protection at such a short distance? rducing ping for the gaming sons?

thanks

ye kna people dont really appreciate what u do for them... its probably fixed n working n she hasnt told me n am still messing about

cheers
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:29:21 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: will INP be off at this range>
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 08:22:06 PM »

her router says G.INP in turn ON...

... do you think its possible DLM will turn off errror protection at such a short distance? rducing ping for the gaming sons?

If G.INP is on then that IS the error protection.
There's no additional delay on G.INP so no added latency.

so... while there I also i found out she is connected to an ECI cab and the ASUS is Infineon, the CAB is in the street behind hers direct opposite the home (yet her router says G.INP in turn ON)=?? thought they didnt duport G.INP?)

Infineon is the ECI cabinets chipset.

Asus use either Mediatek chipsets or the newer models use Broadcom.

They do actually support G.INP and it worked on all the Asus modems for a few years.

The Asus DSL-AC68U (and i believe other Asus models that also have a Mediatek chipset) is (or was) banned from using G.INP as something with their implementation of it was causing issues with the DSLAM.

Around the same time that Asus modems had G.INP disabled OpenReach were reporting an issue where a specific modem was causing the DLM to stop working on the entire cabinet.

The Asus's G.INP might have been what was causing DLM to stop working on these cabinets, but that's just me speculating.

It could be that the Asus G.INP problems only happened on Huawei cabinets.
It could be that OpenReach haven't implemented the block on Asus G.INP on the ECI G.INP trial.

It could also be the case that OpenReach have whitelisted the Asus modems again and G.INP could be working on Huawei cabinets again too.

Either way the Asus modems with a Mediatek chipset are in my opinion shocking performers. The chipsets are horrible.
They caused widely unstable SNRM, absolutely HUGE amounts of ES, regular loss of sync and much more when running on my line connected to an ECI cabinet.
In a relatively short time period it caused my line to be put on High Interleaving which took months to remove and required me to swap modem and to manually cap the sync speed.

The newer Asus DSL-AC88U has a Broadcom BCM63138 chipset and does G.Fast too.

Could you get a copy of the DSL Statistics page.
Even better would be to talk her out of using it if it is an older model with a Mediatek chipset.  :D
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 12:19:16 PM »

first

thanks for the reply j0hn

second, i know ECI have Infineon chipsets why i mention G.INP as it's a Broadcom only tech isn't it? she is Infineon both ends

i thought the G.INP being on with the default crappy ASUS having G.INP = ON may have been a problem

YOU:

The Asus's G.INP might have been what was causing DLM to stop working on these cabinets, but that's just me speculating

i thought the same, will try to get stat tonight as im going over

heard today she has two LANS into the lads Xbox n no complaint...that DOESNT mean there is NO issue - might bet be getting 15Mbps with low pings, although one of me nephews knows how to check the ping through his xbox Fortnite servers choice - BLOOD OUT OF A STONE never on his phone unless he needs me!!

will report back tonight or morning

cheers j0hn really appreciated as always

as for her buying a new one..hehe NO WAY (if it works it works..in her eyes) - in her last house she was with ORIGIN on ADLS2+ getting 4Mbps... her n kids moaned to hell , i said sign up to PlusNet 40/10 NOW - I did for her and they were extremely happy for several months - THEN she had to move cos the Landlord wanted to sell it... so she has bumped Plusnet (whilst denying it in anger saying her bills are always paid up lol) and went back to ORIGIN but on 40/10 all she had to do was a change of address with PlusNet...but noo dont ask Paul what's best....

AGAIN...another case of her not asking thinking she will know better - if i had not been around at all her life would have been hell with it on ALL occasions - not to mention all the time consumed by her inexperience and costs -  its a bit unappreciated man - like its EXPECTED!!! - they go out on their own - mess up - THEN ask me!!  backwards man!

SIGH..sorry for the moan, i just feel abused u know>? I got it going on with me dad and TV's....feel like im never stopping for HOURS/DAYS to help people for no reward

EDITED FOR SPELLING (CRAP KB)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 12:36:05 PM by snadge »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:31:25 PM »

A bit of a vent here I see. :D

I tend to stay out of things with family and friends since there will be always a reason to moan at me for suggestions and changes I make, or ignore advice. I just let them get on with it these days unless they show willingness to understand or let me help without making things difficult for me. It can make me feel bad to decline, and sometimes I get told that I am supposed to "know these things" and that I "won't do it" because I "can't do it" - degrading perhaps, but I typically won't try to help someone with that attitude or prove them wrong since they are the ones having the issue and not me. :P

You can only help people who will make an effort, or at least not impede you. I don't mind trying to solve issues, but it's a pain to deal with difficult people (note: not necessarily people who don't understand, but people who question you in a way where they think they know better, or won't follow advice). Probably why I don't work in support anymore, even if I am being paid. ;D Though there are some nice, patient people out there who want to be helped and let you do your work. :) But apparently doing things for free for those you know can be more demanding... sometimes even being very picky about when you need to do it and it being on their terms.

Sorry for bumping the topic. Just thought I'd share that I know how it feels.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 04:38:15 PM »

;)

aye its exactly that

she lives about 10m from the cab...MAX RATE after the repair was now 99Mb up from 66Mb and synced and getting 40/10 with 30ms ping in Xbox on LAN

that was her happy - no thank you though....

anything