Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: RIP FTTC All Hail FTTP  (Read 4322 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Re: RIP FTTC All Hail FTTP
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 09:43:27 PM »

This is not a troll post i am genuinely curious.

I have FTTC and get the speed below which are rock steady and have been since day one, there are three of us in the house my wife mainly used the internet for gaming and FB i use it for everything (Chromecast, YouTube and general surfing) and my son lives on YouTube, we have never had issues with the speed even when we are all using it so i often wonder when i see threads like this why people need and pay extra for such high speeds, maybe now i will find out.

BT are offering regrades from FTTC to FTTP at no additional cost. In my case the speed has gone from 50Mbs to 150Mbs for the same monthly price.

I was seeking better stability rather than speed. I once had FTTC speeds similar to what you have, but over the years the speed declined markedly probably primarily due to crosstalk as more people took up FTTC in my immediate area. The line quality was never great to start with, and I will not miss the constant DLM interventions and constant arguments with BT over the reliability issues with my FTTC service.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »

BT are offering regrades from FTTC to FTTP at no additional cost. In my case the speed has gone from 50Mbs to 150Mbs for the same monthly price.

I like the sound of that.   ;)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »

I like the sound of that.   ;)

I believe that some of their offers are localised geographically rather than nationwide for some reason. In my case BT phoned me with an offer rather than me seeking them out. The downside is their contracts now all seem to be 24 months.   

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 07:26:06 PM »

I think the best thing about FTTP is that you pay for something and you get it, we've never had that with BT before.

You want 50Mb, you get 50Mb. You want 1Gbit, you get 1Gbit.

I do wish BT would increase the upload though, I hope that comes in time.

I hope us folks in the countryside will be upgraded at some time in the next decade, I do think FTTC has been a tremendous waste of public money in hindsight.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 09:26:08 PM »

I agree. The vast amount of money wasted was just a delay before getting FTTP rolled out. Perhaps it was all more about competition with VM than the public good.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2020, 10:26:21 PM »

FTTC was also about the speed of roll out, a lot of properties could be covered relatively quickly. I wonder how long it will take to get the same percentage of coverage of FTTP compared to FTTC.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2020, 11:44:49 PM »

Well round our way, it took 8 years to get FTTC, I got left out, and I will never see it. So they could have done FTTP in a lot less time here than that, could have had it around five years ago, my best guess.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 03:33:57 PM »

As a footnote to this, Lothian Broadband have reviewed their FTTP offering and have made some changes to their speed/pricing structure. My 200Mbps connection has been upgraded to 900Mbps for the same monthly amount (1p less in reality!). :o Remarkably I have been able to gobble up most of this bandwidth with a multi-thread backup to the cloud, but in practice far beyond my everyday needs. Still, nice to have for the time being!

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/317206425
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 08:50:54 PM »

I do hope they pop over to Dalkeith  :fingers: although they are much more rural focused.
I expect Tranent & Pencaitland much more likely to be on their expanding rollout.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2021, 09:16:25 PM »

Well round our way, it took 8 years to get FTTC, I got left out, and I will never see it. So they could have done FTTP in a lot less time here than that, could have had it around five years ago, my best guess.

Unlikely, I suspect. They would still be rolling out FTTP to other more profitable/commercial areas, if they had not opted to introduce FTTC
Pages: 1 [2]

anything