Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RIP FTTC All Hail FTTP  (Read 4289 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
RIP FTTC All Hail FTTP
« on: October 22, 2020, 12:21:02 PM »

This morning the DSL LED on my modem was finally extinguished after ceasing my copper line. After many months of anticipation and (impatient) waiting I am finally connected to FTTP!  ;D

Fibre came to the village at least three years ago thanks to a collaboration between the new owners of “The Big House” and Lothian Broadband. It has been gradually spreading throughout the village and earlier this year the ducting was laid and finally the last length of fibre run to the house last week.

The fibre is connected to a MikroTik Fiber-to-Copper Converter which is powered over the PPPoE connection via a PoE injector although I believe the supplied router (also MikroTik) can provide power making a neat solution. I opted to keep my Firebrick, but may look into the Mikrotik range. Speeds are impressive, I have a 200Mbps symmetrical connection which appears to be sustained at all times.

Happy days!  :yay:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/isp-lothian-broadband-extends-full-fibre-network-in-gifford.html

https://www.commsworld.com/insights/press-releases/2018/august/quaint-east-lothian-village-lights-up-with-ultra-fast-fibre/
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

underzone

• Reg Member
Re: RIP FTTC All Hail FTTP
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 12:26:10 PM »

Very nice! A symmetrical connection too, perfect  :)

SlimJ

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 01:09:17 PM »

One can only dream of this technology and symmetrical speeds!  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 02:09:43 PM »

Congratulations.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 09:05:44 PM »

Thanks for the comments. I now have a few ZyXel modem/routers to dispose of.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 08:04:35 PM »

Sigh...one day.... one day I will be able to experience such speeds.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 09:48:29 PM »

Congrats, for me still seems an eternity away, but glad some are getting to experience it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 03:22:38 AM »

Wow, happy days indeed - best

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 02:58:19 PM »

Speeds are impressive, I have a 200Mbps symmetrical connection which appears to be sustained at all times.
Happy days!  :yay:

This is not a troll post i am genuinely curious.

I have FTTC and get the speed below which are rock steady and have been since day one, there are three of us in the house my wife mainly used the internet for gaming and FB i use it for everything (Chromecast, YouTube and general surfing) and my son lives on YouTube, we have never had issues with the speed even when we are all using it so i often wonder when i see threads like this why people need and pay extra for such high speeds, maybe now i will find out.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:03:00 PM by maxheadroom »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 03:32:58 PM »

When I was on FTTC the most I got was around 47/6 and when Virgin was installed I decided I would move to that for the better speeds. I chose Vivid 350 as with that I got a 30Mbps upload. For a lot of people its about the upload, and the download is simply because to get the better upload you don't have a choice and have to go for a higher than required download.

But you are always going to get the people who get much faster packages because that's what they we're told they needed - spoke to one recently, he was insistent that he needed Virgin 500 but apart from 4 users potentially streaming had no other reason, just what VM recommended. Others simply because they want the fastest regardless of whether they actually need it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 03:41:33 PM »

It was mainly for the upload. My previous upload speed was ~7 Mbps which made cloud backups almost impossible. I was previously on FTTC and the line was pretty stable apart from a few months when I lost sync twice daily due to a SHINE event. With FTTP I'll be impervious to that kind of interference. I was obliged to go for the 200 Mbps package to fulfil the terms of the Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme. Although, having said all that, there was quite a bit of "I must have this" if I'm totally honest!  ;)

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »

When I was on FTTC the most I got was around 47/6 and when Virgin was installed I decided I would move to that for the better speeds. I chose Vivid 350 as with that I got a 30Mbps upload. For a lot of people its about the upload, and the download is simply because to get the better upload you don't have a choice and have to go for a higher than required download.

But you are always going to get the people who get much faster packages because that's what they we're told they needed - spoke to one recently, he was insistent that he needed Virgin 500 but apart from 4 users potentially streaming had no other reason, just what VM recommended. Others simply because they want the fastest regardless of whether they actually need it.

Thanks for explaining.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 04:35:01 PM »

It was mainly for the upload. My previous upload speed was ~7 Mbps which made cloud backups almost impossible. I was previously on FTTC and the line was pretty stable apart from a few months when I lost sync twice daily due to a SHINE event. With FTTP I'll be impervious to that kind of interference. I was obliged to go for the 200 Mbps package to fulfil the terms of the Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme. Although, having said all that, there was quite a bit of "I must have this" if I'm totally honest!  ;)

Thanks, i don't do a lot of uploading but did notice the difference in speed when i moved to FTTC.

I think as technology advances we will need higher speeds so its a good thing they are becoming more readily available, as gaming moves online (i think the days of buying £500 consoles will soon be a thing of the past) and we have 4K streaming these higher speed packages will be the norm being a tightwad i will wait until i cannot do without it but i bet that's not too far into the future.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:37:52 PM by maxheadroom »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 06:35:30 PM »

For me its games and also being able to remote into my home connection without potentially bottlenecking on the upload.  Plus I might actually use cloud backups if my upload is fast enough for it to be viable, although even 150Mbit would be restrictive there when you consider even backing up to a USB HDD can do ~2Gbit.

More importantly is downloading games AND watching 4K at the same time, without heavily compromising either.  I plan to go straight for Gigabit so that I basically never have to worry about bottlenecking on my side again.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 09:06:07 PM »

I have no issues now with cloud back up, well it's not cloud any more, as my cloud is a Synology NAS at my brothers house. My film rips backup immediately when they are transferred to my server, all our documents are securely encrypted in the early hours and then also backed up to the Synology NAS. So far my system seems to be working well, and it just happens in the background. When I was on FTTC the cloud back would bring the connection to it knees sometimes as the upload was swamped.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: [1] 2