Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forum Signature Block  (Read 3619 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Forum Signature Block
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:26:29 AM »

@alex. I note your signature the TBB monitors have more detail, is that something you have created r have TBB changed. Like you I have Sen and Plusnet ? Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Forum Signature Block
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 07:28:22 PM »

@alex. I note your signature the TBB monitors have more detail, is that something you have created r have TBB changed. Like you I have Sen and Plusnet ? Tony

I have a script on my VPS that pulls in the normal BQM charts then crops, resizes and adds the extra information so that it fits in a forum signature without being too intrusive.  I was offering this for everyone on an old forum that no longer exists.

Unfortunately the proxy on this forum caches them so they do not remain up-to-date, I should probably look into how to deal with that.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 08:40:29 PM »

Alex, you may think that its not too intrusive, but funnily enough it was only this morning I was thinking about how much space your signature takes up on my tablet (its worse on the phone), especially when it appears multiple times in the same thread in quick succession, and sorry but having the ping graphs in a signature seems a bit pointless. Imagine what the forum would be like if everyone had pictures in their signatures.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 08:59:00 PM »

I find it useful as a point of reference when scrolling, though I can see a problem with having them both, it was only meant to be one.

Its a tricky one as I find forums on my phone a complete none-starter and posts that are too short on desktop harder to read, likely the complete opposite to a lot of people.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:01:54 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:20:37 PM »

so that it fits in a forum signature without being too intrusive. 

I disagree.

Reading my tab previous to this 1, the thread has 9 posts, 7 from you, with 7 BQM's down my page.
I was just thinking why when i came across this post.

Surely a txt link to your BQM is sufficient.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 01:29:57 AM »

Alex, you may think that its not too intrusive, but funnily enough it was only this morning I was thinking about how much space your signature takes up on my tablet (its worse on the phone), especially when it appears multiple times in the same thread in quick succession, and sorry but having the ping graphs in a signature seems a bit pointless. Imagine what the forum would be like if everyone had pictures in their signatures.

Is my sig ok Ronski, or also a nuisance? I will shorten it if it is.  On my desktop it is one line but I never considered portable devices.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 10:22:24 AM »

Hmmm, clearly there isn't any pictures in your signature, there is two in Alex's which on small devices drop down one below the other and this takes up twice the screen space. Also with multiple replies from Alex in the same thread it gets rather repetitive.

Text only signatures just like yours or mine just blend in.

I was going to post a screenshot, but Alex has updated his signature - thank you Alex.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 01:45:33 PM »

I didnt see any pics on alex's signature, just a link to tbb, thats why I asked you.

He must have updated it before I looked.  Thanks

anything