Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Unread posts since last visit  (Read 14093 times)

Accordion

• Reg Member
Re: Unread posts since last visit
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »

Get yourself ATF Cleaner and use that to clear temp files. It recognises what browsers you have, removes the temp files and also deals with Windows tempo files.

It doesn't need to beinstalled and is very simple to use. I keep it on the desktop and run it quite often to clear the dross. Maybe not as deep cleaning as Ccleaner, but far simpler. Try it:

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

PS - just used ATF Cleaner and then came back. Marked difference in performance (using Opera).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:13:18 PM by Accordion »

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 06:37:27 PM »

Dave  I've already got ATF  (from a previous suggestion by yourself   -   do pay attention  :lol: )   and I regularly have a clean out and it DOES make a difference  ..   my latest problem with FF is that it does not like the Vnunet url into CA   ....  it crashes every time  :'(   so I just use the Comp.Active url and it's OK  ...  except the colours on that access are DREADFUL  !!!   it was following several FF crashes that the posts problem arose on here ..but that has cleared up  .. the url problem  hasn't,  I don't think  ... I've not tried it as I don't want it to crash again  ???   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:40:58 PM by scottiesmum »

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »

You could always download FF 3. Normal updates to version 2.0. ......... don't seem to suggest updating to version 3.

PS - I thought you might already have ATF, but perhaps the suggestion might help others.

scottiesmum

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 10:03:12 PM »

Dave,   I have FF 3, I updated a couple of weeks ago ....  I wondered if that might have been the problem ?      Thanks for your help as usual ! :hug:

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 07:10:08 AM »

I've just updated mine to FF3 and all seems well.  I only have minimal add-ons though:

Adblock
Roboform
Stumbleupon
IE Tab

I log into the forum there using http://forums.vnunet.com/index.jspa

Anything different on yours?

Plus - I have the CA ads blocked in my Hosts File. Have you done that?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:44:03 AM by Accordion »

scottiesmum

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »

Hello Dave,       I opened your link in a new tab and    CRASH   !!!     strange isn't it ...    :-\

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 11:14:12 AM »

Kate, I have just opened Daves link and it was fine.

scottiesmum

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »

curiouser and curiouser     :'(

Dave, I see that there is a facility under Help on FF for  'Report Broken Website' where you can give details when certain web sites "shut Firefox out" ...  I've looked at the privacy  policy content which I need to agree to before I can report this problem, but I'm hesitating because of the following statement:-

..... Like most Web site operators, Mozilla does collect non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and date and time of each visitor request. Mozilla also collects potentially personally-identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, which are non-personally-identifying in and of themselves but could be used in conjunction with other information to personally identify users.

Mozilla's purpose in collecting this information is to better understand how Mozilla's visitors use its Web sites. To that end, Mozilla may share potentially personally-identifying information with its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations. Mozilla may also release non-personally-identifying information about visitors, e.g. by publishing a report on Web site usage trends.

do you think I should report the fault via this facility ?     OR   simply use the other url and put up with HORRENDOUS colour scheme  !!!  I don't stay that long anyway  ;D  this is the ONLY url  I have a problem with  .........  do you think I've been "blackballed"    :lol:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:43:20 AM by scottiesmum »

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »

You could report it Kate, but on the grounds that we aren't having the same problem, then it would seem that something in your set-up is different, not the browser itself at fault. What add-ons do you have?

Also - check for updates on any of the add-ons.

Think about any software you might be using that affects Internet activities - give us a list.

Somewhere on your system, there's something 'different' and a bit of digging might find out what it is.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 12:02:24 PM »

Kate,
Try starting Firefox in Safemode (not the computer), go to Start -> All Programs -> point at Mozilla Firefox and in the dropdown click Firefox Safe Mode.
That will start FF without any addons etc and see if you can open the link that Dave gave:
http://forums.vnunet.com/index.jspa

If it opens OK, then shut down Firefox and restart normally then disable all the addons and enable one at a time and keep trying to open the link.
If one causes a problem then let us know.
dave

scottiesmum

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 12:21:13 PM »

VOILA  !

Well the little tinker   ... it's the IE Tab that's causing the problem ??     I'm SO pleased it's none of the others because I DO like gadgets, and that includes some of the 'quirky' things on FF   :D      Now, what can I do about  the IE Tab please  ? 

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 12:24:54 PM »

Check to see if there's an update to it.

Or - uninstall and then download, reinstall with a fresh copy.

scottiesmum

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 12:42:27 PM »

Uninstalled and reinstalled  - but when I restarted FF  it crashed   immediately  .... I'm sorry to be a nuisance  :no:

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 12:45:31 PM »

Which one did you get, because there are 2 or 3 IE addons?
Did you try this one;
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
once added, before doing anything else, click on the Check For Updates.

scottiesmum

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »

Yes, that's the one I used    :-\  I looked at the FF Add Ons page and noted there were several, but noted the advice on there to use the latest, which I did .....
Pages: 1 [2] 3