Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old ADSL2 + routers....any value?  (Read 1970 times)

wolvesmad

Old ADSL2 + routers....any value?
« on: October 16, 2020, 07:37:16 PM »

Just been routing through the wardrobe and found an old Speetouch 585v6 and a 2wire 2700.

Is there any value in these now?

Speetouch is boxed with accessories. 2wire just has its mains cable.
Zyxel VMG1312-B10A + Asus RT-AC68u on EE Fiber+

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Old ADSL2 + routers....any value?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 08:48:57 PM »

Probably not worth much now considering these have been superseded by far newer kit. But i fondly remember, that in their heyday, these routers were legendary for holding onto very long/noisy adsl lines. The BT Business 2wire 2700 was the only router which didn’t disconnect daily on my 6km long adsl line. RIP :)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:02:20 PM »

The BT Business 2wire 2700 was the only router which didn’t disconnect daily on my 6km long adsl line. RIP :)
Indeed, a legendary icon.
I've got about half a dozen old routers I've been meaning to clear out, but I can't bear to part with the classic 2700.
EDIT:  Just remembered I've still got an Alcatel 'Frog' - that's staying too!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:04:37 PM by 4candles »
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

wolvesmad

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:08:10 PM »

It didn't seem to perform too well on my broadcom chipset line. The DG834GT and 585v6 seemed to be the best.

The 585v6 I used with DMT Tools to tweak the SNR down a bit. Managed 6.5Mbps on a 52db line on ADSL2+.

Those were the days.

Zyxel VMG1312-B10A + Asus RT-AC68u on EE Fiber+

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 12:06:45 AM »

It didn't seem to perform too well on my broadcom chipset line. The DG834GT and 585v6 seemed to be the best.

The 585v6 I used with DMT Tools to tweak the SNR down a bit. Managed 6.5Mbps on a 52db line on ADSL2+.

Those were the days.

That's interesting as I was never happy with any Speedtouch router, they seemed very unstable.

The 2700 and DG834GT were excellent units however, I had a ton of the latter and even recapped them when they started to fail.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 08:45:38 AM »

I was extremely impressed by the sophisticated software in the Speedtouch routers. I only tested one briefly once; I wish I had given one more of a trial. I had a dozen or more DG834v3 units (TI AR7-based) which I supplied to customers and used myself.

See this ancient post for comments about the DG834vx models. I should have done more testing with the Broadcom-based DG834v4. Looking at that post now, I should have also been a lot more careful about handling the changes brought about by DLM, as in some cases I was not comparing like with like as far as downstream SNRM was concerned. And I also didn’t take a look at upstream.

Those old models certainly have some value now. I’d love to test the BT 2700 or whatever it was (2-wire ?). I would most of all love to test a Speedtouch 585 now. If I were doing some back-to-back comparison tests like that now, I could do a much better job of it because now using Andrews and Arnold I can do a SNRM reset whenever I need to at the push of a button. If I were to do such tests now, it would be with G.992.3 on BT 21CN using a Broadcom-based DSLAM. I seem to recall that Kitz is not a big believer in CPE-DSLAM modem synergy but for those of us that do, and I have an open mind in this respect, there is now the possibility of Broadcom-based modems being favoured on my line.

I would love to borrow some of the old models, but would have to test them for a good while so wouldn’t be able to return them quickly. If some are sickly and a kitizen could recap them as needed, then that would be ideal.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:32:03 AM by Weaver »

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »

Ahh... the 585v6 reminds me of my Be Unlimited days. They were an absolutely fantastic provider that stayed good for quite a while even after being swallowed-up by Telefonica.

That modem was with me back when I was still living with mum, came along when I moved in to a rented flat with my girlfriend, and briefly served when we bought our house together.

It’s probably still up in the loft!

Mind you, the HG612 on the wall in the hall has served longer - must be in its 8th year of 24/7 operation.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 10:22:02 AM »

@displaced : Iirc in those days my own ISP, Andrews and Arnold, offered service over a mixture of BT and Be lines. Were Be ADSL2 back then ?

Would that have meant that AA offered Be lines only when the exchange had Be LLU ? I don’t know what Be did for end users where there was no LLU at an exchange, or what that meant in such a case in those days for the ISPs such as AA who wanted Be’s wholesale service.

I seem to recall that in many cases AA offered end users a choice between a Be and a BT line; it wasn’t just decided by AA based on numbers in a spreadsheet. They recommended having one of each kind of line for users with two bonded lines.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 10:30:27 AM »

Has anyone tried an HG612 on ADSL2/2+ ? Do they even support G.992.1 / G.992.3 / G.992.5 ?

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 11:08:12 AM »

@weaver - yes I think you’re right! At least I seem to remember the same thing!

Our Be lines were ADSL2, definitely - but I think it depended on the exchange.  Mum’s house and the flat were both on the Orpington exchange and were both ADSL2.  Similar line qualities too, both about 10Mbit down and I’m pretty sure they were LLU.  No idea how that affected AA’s ability to use their lines/backhaul though!

I transferred the account to Gravesend where we are now, but got only about 5Mbit on our ~600m long line.  Luckily FTTC had just rolled out because BT were fed up with Telewest/Virgin Media stealing all their customers.

As for the HG612’s ADSL2 abilities, let me go screenshot the admin page... :)

Always found Be very good.  They used eastern-European tech support that were brilliantly knowledgable.  On the odd occasion I had to call them, I was always prepared for the battle to reach 2nd or 3rd line support, but the first person who answered always seemed to have the know-how and tools available to sort out the problem in minutes.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 11:11:08 AM »

Here’s the modulation options.  I’ve never tinkered with these, so I imagine detects what’s on the line and uses the appropriate option.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »

I have used the HG612 on an ADSL_Max connection in the past but it doesn't automatically switch from the default VDSL2 mode. The WAN configuration has to be changed from PTM to ATM mode for the ADSL variants. My sync speed was the full 8128Mbps on a line length of about 2.5 Km.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 03:50:45 PM »

@weaver - yes I think you’re right! At least I seem to remember the same thing!

Our Be lines were ADSL2, definitely

ADSL2+, up to 24Mbit down, 1.2Mbit up.  I used to get 5Mbit down (>2.4KM with some aluminium in there) with 3dB SNRm, 1.1Mbit up.

I have a historical log of my connection from Be onwards on my site http://csdprojects.co.uk/ping/show/alexatkin
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 04:33:46 PM »

Has anyone tried an HG612 on ADSL2/2+ ? Do they even support G.992.1 / G.992.3 / G.992.5 ?

Yes. :)  A Kitz Wiki page resulted from such usage.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 08:02:36 PM »

I was going to to say ‘those were the days’, but in my case the tense would be wrong; it would need to be something like ‘those will hopefully be the days one day’. I wish I could get something like >5 Mbps per line, I’m not at the ‘good old days’ yet; my english language breaks down  ??? :)
Pages: [1] 2