Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hallelujah the Rayburn is back!  (Read 672 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Hallelujah the Rayburn is back!
« on: October 14, 2020, 07:22:48 PM »

We have had a nightmare three weeks with no Rayburn, so no central heating and no hot water. Thank goodness a miracle, we now have a certified Aga Rayburn engineer just down the road. He came out and pronounced the sentence of death on the beast; it needed a major new part and we have had to wait for this to be delivered.  :o  But the part finally arrived and yesterday our excellent man worked tirelessly for six hours on fitting it. This process turned into a nightmare because very careful filing was required since some other element had warped, due, I believe Janet said, to our not having had the monster serviced regularly enough over recent years. Total £900.

So no more washing hands in cold water and we can make bread once again. We were able to cook in the microwave and we have wood / coal-burning stoves times two so we should by rights not be letting the house get cold, but Janet being unwell she isn’t really up to getting the coal and wood in from outside to fuel the stove as often as is necessary to keep both the stoves going full blast. But real bread and proper cooking, that’s what I have been missing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 08:13:20 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Hallelujah the Rayburn is back!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 07:45:47 PM »

. . . needing a major new part but we have had to wait for this to be delivered, cost £900.  :o 

I suspect the price is due to the "name effect".  :ouch:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 09:05:17 PM »

The six hours labour is a killer I think. That could be a significant part of it.

When it was opened up, various elements of the beast’s innards were found to have become warped. The Rayburn is running twenty four hours a day seven days a week, unless the weather is exceptionally hot, so I’m thinking that maybe we should have had it checked over much sooner to avoid getting into a pickle.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:04:33 PM »

I believe an annual service is actually recommended.

Just wondering what fuel you use? Bottled gas? Coke? Oil? Peat? Wood?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 01:13:00 PM »

Oil in the Rayburn in the kitchen. We had a previous one that used to use solid fuel. We have two other stoves that are wood/coal burners to heat the two living rooms.

I have just realised that Betty is in the bedroom again!  ;D  I can hear her pecking!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »

Oil in the Rayburn in the kitchen. We had a previous one that used to use solid fuel.

My sister and brother-in-law have an oil fired Rayburn in their kitchen. It is serviced once a year. The flue is brushed clean and checked at the same time.

I have just realised that Betty is in the bedroom again!  ;D  I can hear her pecking!

There go all the kitteh treats.  :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 07:50:12 PM »

> There go all the kitteh treats.  :D

Betty didn’t get near them, they are in a hard plastic box. She’s after crumbs of cheese or bread near the fridge in the bedroom.

Janet came up and cleaned up after the unwanted presents that Betty had had left behind. Janet loves Betty a lot and carries her and the other girls around; they are so incredibly tame - the friendliest and gentlest hens we have ever had.

> My sister and brother-in-law have an oil fired Rayburn in their kitchen. It is serviced once a year. The flue is brushed clean and checked at the same time.

Janet has definitely learned her lesson. Now she has discovered the existence of the engineer she will use him regularly. We always used to get a local plumber to do servicing but he left the area.

anything