Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Renewed sky FTTC, speed dropped even though line is still capable of more  (Read 1072 times)

Rorton

Re contracted with Sky - had Sky Fibre Max, and was getting a connection speed of 48999 down, and 15553 up. SNR was 6.4 DB.

The recontract puts me on a different product, which is supposed to be the same, just a rename - Sky Superfast - but it has dropped my speed to 39998 down, 9999 up.

Apparently, ive been put on the 40/10 tariff, something to do with the line check speed, being at a certain threshold, even though I was getting 49mb down, im now getting 40.

Current stats are

Code: [Select]
xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 16083 Kbps, Downstream rate = 56840 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 9995 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39998 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 17.9 9.9
Attn(dB): 19.7 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 5.8 5.8

Now, when I renewed, sky told me I would not loose speed (I specifically asked this, when they said your speed will be around 36mb) I said I have about 50 now, so will that change - NO I was told.

Ive complained to sky, and they do say I was mis informed, and have agreed to let me out of my contract early so I can go else where, they can't pout me on a different tariff (so they say) - I did explain I wanted to just go on the 80/20 Openreach product, but fell on deaf ears.

My question is, if I move elsewhere, and go for someone else who has an 'upto 66-80mb package, am I still going to get stuck with the slower speed

If so, I will still move, as other tariffs are cheeper, (Now Broadband - sky in disguise!!) charge £23 for 12 months 40/10 with free unlimited calls - im paying £37 for that, so there is a saving to be had - but id like to get the best I can, so would pay them the extra money for their faster package, but dont want to get landed with the same speed.

Any suggestions?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Looking at those statistics, I think your circuit would be perfectly capable on the Openreach 55/10 Mbps DS/US product.

For whatever reason, Sky have currently put you on the 40/10 Mbps product.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Rorton

Thanks, my concern is that if I go elsewhere and pay for a upto 80mb product, the same will happen and I get stuck on the 40/10

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

As per @burakkucat's post it certainly looks like Sky have put you on the wrong product, as their advertising for 'Superfast' claims average speeds of 59/16Mbps so it should be the 80/20 product.
I'd get back to them, point out the error and ask that they fix it. If you are paying for the 80/20 product then that is what you should get, irrespective of line speed estimates.
 :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:59:17 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Rorton

yeah, ive tried with Sky, there argument is that the estimated line speed from their tests is 36mb, lowest guarantee is 30mb, and they are within that.
In my favour, when specifically asked if my speed will drop from the 50mb I had before the change, I was told no, if I had 50, it will stay at 50 - this has allowed me to be released from my contract without extra charges so I can go else where.

So, sky can't do anything to change it, and the speed im getting is within their estimates, and they can't give me any more as they say that's all I can get

My concern is, it seems all of the providers these days have this speed guarantee/estimated speed, so if you sign up knowing your line is capable of 50mb, they put you on the 40/10 product, they won't do anything because they told you in their estimate that's what you will get.

Apparently, its cost saving - they can buy 40/10 or 80/20 from Openreach for you, and if the line check reports back a certain speed, they just slap you on the 40/10,m and save themselves some money.

I just dont want to get caught out with another supplier with the same thing :(

j0hn

• Kitizen

Sky can easily do something to change it, it's just impossible to find an operator who knows what they are doing.
A simple regrade with OpenReach can be remotely processed within 24 hours.
I've seen it done with Sky recently, but involved weeks of complaining and telling Sky what they need to do.

There's only a couple ISP's who do this kind of thing. BT and Sky are 2 of them.
Rather than selling 40/10 or 80/20 specifically they advertise an average speed somewhere in-between and put you on the product that matches your estimates.
With BT a quick visit to their forum and the forum mods are excellent and will regrade lines quickly.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

There's only a couple ISP's who do this kind of thing. BT and Sky are 2 of them.
Rather than selling 40/10 or 80/20 specifically they advertise an average speed somewhere in-between and put you on the product that matches your estimates.
With BT a quick visit to their forum and the forum mods are excellent and will regrade lines quickly.

A shameful practice, I mean that's the whole point of having DLM so that you DON'T have to do stupid things like this.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

siofjofj

• Reg Member

A shameful practice, I mean that's the whole point of having DLM so that you DON'T have to do stupid things like this.
I believe the motivation for this practice is twofold
  • It is cheaper for the ISP, as Openreach charge less for the lower speed VDSL products.
  • It allows ISPs to keep a higher average speed across the lines they have on the 80/20 product, thus allowing them to advertise a higher speed (a consequence of the, IMHO stupid, Ofcom policy requiring ISPs to quote average speeds in their marketing).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

I believe the motivation for this practice is twofold
  • It is cheaper for the ISP, as Openreach charge less for the lower speed VDSL products.
  • It allows ISPs to keep a higher average speed across the lines they have on the 80/20 product, thus allowing them to advertise a higher speed (a consequence of the, IMHO stupid, Ofcom policy requiring ISPs to quote average speeds in their marketing).

Except if you paying for the higher package and they provisioned you on the lower one, that's fraud.
If they aren't including you in the average of the package you are paying for, that's even worse.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen

Except if you paying for the higher package and they provisioned you on the lower one, that's fraud.
If they aren't including you in the average of the package you are paying for, that's even worse.

It absolutely isn't.

Sky don't have a higher package or a lower package. It's a single price.
They will only put people on the lower package if their estimates are that low.
Sky quote these estimates and a minimum guarantee.
Anyone syncing at 40Mb meets their contractual minimum.

BT do similar with Fibre 1.
It's sold as average speed 50Mb but they quote lower estimates for those they provision in 40/10.
Anyone with higher estimates gets put on 55/10.

It's not a great development for those who sync much higher than their estimates, but it isn't fraud.
They sign up accepting the estimates and the minimum guarantee, which they exceed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 03:43:40 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Renewed sky FTTC, speed dropped even though line is still capable of more
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 03:47:27 PM »

Sky don't have a higher package or a lower package. It's a single price.

Ah I wasn't aware they had switched to this, very crafty.

anything