Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can I or Can't I get FTTC  (Read 1904 times)

glennbtn

Re: Can I or Can't I get FTTC
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »

The main green cab is 5 doors away from me and there is no second cabinet anywhere to be seen. Bt have been here lots recently but running fibre ready for FTTP when it goes live, but not work has been done on the existing cab.

I checked with open reach who just said if it's on the website put in an order so I have placed an upgrade order with Zen and see what happens. Currently it still waiting for Open Reach to commit to a date.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »

@glennbtn  If codelook is wrong maybe the FTTC has been enabled quite recently. This is google maps view in March 2019. I couldn't see another nearby cabinet.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8261257,-0.3605926,3a,90y,286.81h,65.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVqmgoG9AZHZXLUPWwEdy5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If the cabinet has changed to a newer casing it could be an "all in one" where the old PCP and the FTTC cab are combined so only one cabinet is required. There are some pictures of the different cabs on this website somewhere. If it it still the old cab and there is no FTTC cab I am not sure what is going on. ???

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 07:27:12 PM »

Must say I've never seen a PCP replaced with an All In One.
I've only seen them used as an infill or for EO lines.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

glennbtn

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 09:27:23 AM »

Def the really old style cab

Order still in waiting for Commit as I expected as that's usually done within an hour or so during the working day and been nearly 24 hours now. Guess someone is now scratching their head as to how it's been enabled for orders with no cab  :lol:

glennbtn

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »

Well funnily enough the upgrade is delayed

there is currently capacity issues on route

Might have something to do with no FTTC cab lol

glennbtn

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 04:45:03 PM »

I am about to give Zen a dig in the ribs regarding my order so hoping someone can tell me if I am correct.

If this is a capacity issue at a cab, I believe I should not be able to place an order but go on a waiting list. The https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com at the time of order did not show a capacity issue and still claims it's available. So in theory what Zen are telling me is incorrect?

Thanks

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 04:59:56 PM »

Are you using your address or landline telephone number when checking for a waiting list?

If you use your phone number and already have FTTC then it will always show available.
The waiting list only shows on an address check.
I know you don't have FTTC but I'd advise using the address check anyway.

Zen don't use the waiting list AFAIK.
Pretty much nobody does. It isn't a manual process and it's time consuming to manage.
After a set time period (i believe 3 months?) orders on the waiting list are automatically rejected and the whole process needs started again.
So ISP's just don't bother with it.

Any reported capacity issues aren't necessarily at the cabinet.

Although if there really is no cabinet I'm not surprised they can't find a free port on it  ::)

I would nudge Zen all the same and request an update.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2]